Chapter Nineteen: Sober Thoughts

I laid my head against Dante's naked chest in nothing but one of his black t-shirts.

Luckily for me it reached mid thigh and covered all the essentials. Not that it mattered at this point.

I drew lazy circles on his chest as we laid in silence noting for the first time that Dante Reed did not have a heartbeat.

I frantically raised onto my elbows to meet his gaze with terrified grey orbs.

"What," He raised a silent eyebrow as his arms tightened around the dip of my waist. I opened my mouth but couldn't form a coherent sentence.

"You," I shook my head as I bit my lower lip trying to understand. I had to constantly remind myself that Dante was not human regardless of how good being in his arms felt.

"You don't have a heartbeat," I whispered, feeling my own heartbeat banging against my ribcage in its frugal attempt to escape.

He slowly shook his head.

'I do. It's very faint, almost non-existent but it is there. Most supernaturals can't detect a vampire's heartbeat let alone humans, contrary to popular belief we aren't dead." He explained as he took my palm and laid it where his thrumming pulse should have been.

I lowered my head again and laid it against his chest trying to detect the faint beat that he described but came out empty handed.

"I still can't hear it," I said as I strained my ears beyond capacity wishing to catch a trace of the rhythmic beat.

"And you won't hear it. Not even laying this close to me, but trust me it's there racing away like a humming bird's wings at your close proximity." I almost complemented his sweet words until he ruined it by opening his mouth again.

"Rushing all my blood down south, straight to my cock," I looked up to see him smirking down at me as he lowered his hands from my waist to palm his growing erection.

I felt my face heat up as I gently slapped his chest.

"Dante," I breathed when he sneakily lifted my hips and placed me directly on the stiff bulge.

He pulled his plump lower lip into his mouth as his obsidian orbs gleamed in the dimly illuminated room.

I raised my hand to trace his jaw as I admired his beauty but froze when I felt him go still.

"What's wrong?" I questioned as I rubbed soothing circles into his chest with my thumb.

"What the fuck happened to your hand?" I was surprised that he had taken this long to even mention the bandage wrapped around my palm.

He suddenly sat up pulling me up with him and I felt my ass drop in between his legs onto the mattress.

I was hesitant to answer him, not sure myself what had happened in his father's office.

"It took you this long to notice," I raised my dry hand in the air. How did he not notice me keeping it out of the water.

"What happened?" He asked again as he took my hand and began to unravel the bandage.

I winced as I saw the thin gash that ran against the length of my palm. The line was red, irritated, and oozing small drops of blood.

"Solange," He called while glaring at me and holding my hand between us.

"I'm not sure," I said honestly while biting my lip when I saw his eyes darkening with barely retained anger.

"When you left I stood in the office with your parents. We were talking and drinking." I explained pausing as I debated whether or not to continue seeing as though he kept our relationship hidden from them.