I kept out of trouble for a long time. Honestly, too long. 

The director thought so to... he called me into his office. 

I sat down across from him at his desk.

"What did you call me here for?" I asked.

He laughed, "At lest you still have your spirit Mrs. Till."

"Well," I said, "I still am planning."

"And I was just making sure. This is being recorded."

"How long have I been here? I forgot.." I asked ignoring what he just said.

"One month or so." He smiled. 

I smirked with some pride, "And, yet, you can't break my spirit."

His smile faded. I sharpened my gaze mocking him. 

"Stand up!" He said loudly.

I did unfazed. He stood in front of me and turned of the recorder he had hidden. He said, "I can. Don't doubt that."

I said, "Don't waste your breath. underneath all that... what ever you call it... is a little buzzcut-"

He slapped me. Not once but twice. I have asked May about this and she said walk away. I really want to hurt him. But, I couldn't. I was under orders by my leaders... under promise by my friends. I could only speak words I find to be true. I said, "You hurt us because you think it makes you powerful. What? Did daddy do the same?"

He pushed me up against the wall and pushed against my neck. I said, "I only speak what I think is the truth and, nothing but the truth. Sometimes it's hard to hear.''

He let me go and said, "Leave." I did gladly. 

============================================================================= +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ =============================================================================

I came down the hall to my room. Joe, Josh gave me another book. The next book that comes after the one I read. I couldn't believe what was going on in the book! Gemma was gone off hanging out with Ryhna. I dug my nose into the book. I heard a knock at my door. I put the book under my mattress and got up to open the door. It was Joe, Josh. 

I said, "Scared me. I was reading."

"Sorry..." He said and bit the inside or his mouth, "Ah, I have something for you."

I let him in. He stood in the middle of the room. He held a piece of paper in his hands. He gulped. I asked, "What is it?"

"I have news... news that concerns you... I do not think you want to hear it though."

"What... is it?" I said in a concerned tone. 

"Your... your brother, James, turned himself in. In return he asked for you to be put back in your home. Here.." He gave me the paper. I didn't even look at it.

I sat down on my bed and gazed at the white wall beyond Joe, Josh, "He... what happened?"

"He was sentience to be put on death for defiance. The Ruler laughed when he heard of your brothers plea to let you walk free. I'm so sorry Chione. I regret telling you..."

I covered my mouth. He's only three years older. He wanted to study animals and figure out the mysteries of the sea. He was gentle but, he could be harsh if needed. He's dead... I said with tears coming down my face, "Josh... please go."

He clenched his jaw, "My condolences-"

"Thank you. Now out! Please. Leave me alone to cry." I said and choked up. He left at that.

I never thought of this day to come. He was too young. I dug my head in my pillow and cried. I remember when we were little;

I screamed. My brother James came running to see what was wrong. There was a white and black vermin in my way at the kitchen.

He asked, "What's wrong Chione?"

I pointed. I was only seven but, those things gave me nightmares. 

He looked at it and picked it up. He said, "It's more afraid pf you killing it than your fears of it having the plague run through it's veins." 

"BUT-"

"Be still please." He said and held it near me. I scooted from him and the rat. James smiled, "He is small. Like one leaf in a tree Chione. But, you have a heavy wind shake the tree and it has no more leaves. Then the tree has a chance of dieing."

"I don't understand."

"Everything has it's place sister. God made all of us and we all have a place. He made everything we see out of an image of beauty. Touch it. You'll see it means you no harm."

I did. It was soft and it's heart at a thousand beats per minute. I thought it's tiny heart would give out but, no. He lead me outside and we let the mouse go. He said, "Chione, some people see no beauty. But, they don't know what's their purpose. I think, if you do not know where you stand in this life, you must take care of the beauty. To make sure it stays that way."

"Is that way you didn't kill it?"

He smiled, "Yeah. C'mon, lets get back to the house."

I said were I was out of my thought out world, "You didn't deserve that brother." I went back to crying. 

============================================================================= +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ =============================================================================

I went to class that morning holding my head high. I was the talk of the town as I went to sit in my set. The Mrs. Jackson said at the end of class, "Chione. Hold on." I went up to her desk were she sat. She said, "I have my deepest sympathy for you at this time. I'm sorry."

"I'm fine thank you," I stated and casually smiled. She sent me off.