Chapter 02: Unexpected Guest

    Commotion had stirred up just outside the Duke residence. Passing citizens were prompted to kneel as a royal procession stopped outside.

    Soon as the obsidian gates lined with marble closed and the procession out of sight, gossip started as tongues began waging.

    Most of the citizens knew of the relationship between the emperor and Duke Cadarvic, so it wasn't much of a surprise that his majesty would come for a visit.

    Yet that wasn't why their tongues were oiled with gossip.

    Duke Cadarvic, one of two generals by the emperor's side. Both were his left and right hands as he relied on both men equally. All knew this, but that didn't stop others from differentiating between the two men.

    Duke Cadarvic himself couldn't compare to the coldblooded General Gallzen, the man whom even Kuhron feared and knew his name. Generations of Gallzen's washed their hands with Kuhron blood. Killing so many of their kind was what gave the Gallzen family their reputation the boost it needed to surpass his fellow general. At least that's what many speculated.

    As for the unscarable gentlemen's knight, Duke Cadarvic, no blood stained tales floated around him. If anything he sounded noble, gallant even, as most knights aspired to be just like him. His tales of conquering dragons and sending them off with a flick of the wrist were too blood pumping to ignore.

    What young hot blooded man didn't like a tale of heroism?

    Yet what was this? The strangest thing has been occurring in the Duke's estate as of late.

    Recently, healers came and went from the residence. So many in fact, minds couldn't help but wander, curious as to what had happened.

    Who in the Duke's residence was injured?

    They'd never once seen healers touch the corners of the Duke's estate. Not even during the Duchesses pregnancy.

    Just how serious had it become for the emperor himself to make a visit? Oh if only, they would kill to be flies on that wall.

    Their lives as citizens were so difficult. Why couldn't the nobles give them a little more to bite? This small amount of drama was not enough to take the edge off their tedium!

    Uncoordinated sighs disharmonized in the wind as it took off into the blue sky.

* * *

    "Where is my daughter? Bring me to her at once!" A powerful voice roared throughout the mansion, shaking the windows in their panes.

    The emperor was not happy. Not happy at all. Why weren't these stupid servants adhering to his orders?

    He tapped his foot impatiently as he glared at them with his cerulean eyes. "Fredric, you don't have a daughter." A guard dryly spoke.

    His garb was different from the other guards which made him look of higher station. Higher quality cloth lined his coat and uniform as the buttons twinkled in the light of the candles.

    His dirty blond hair was slicked back into a tie as it laid curtly on his shoulder. Age creased in the corners of his cerulean eyes that had narrowed at the emperor.

    "Shut up Roy. Of course I have a daughter." The emperor puffed out his chest as he spoke with authority in his tone, "Her name is Alicia Renov and she is the cutest thing this world has ever produced."