Chapter 11: Calm before the storm

    Seasons changed and went by. Spring was upon us as the snow had melted and the flowers bloomed.

    Today was the big day for those in the culinary market. Two honcho's of the bakery section, Pete and Kelly, were once again competing.

    Their rivalry has become quite the sensation over the years. Bringing forth many spectators that increase the revenue for all the business in the culinary market.

    Nearly 24 years, these two have been engaging in battles of flour and starch. At the beginning of each season, these two titan's face each other with multiple creations.

    Today was special as it marks the breaking of a tie. Both were sitting at 49 wins and 49 loses. Only one will reach the 50 break point. Perhaps by then, we'd finally know who was the true bakery Honcho.

    Who will it be?

    Over the years, there have been many judges, but none were as unbiased as the current one. For the past two years, one taste tester has kept a level head, judging and not devouring.

    Young Lady Alicia Cadarvic. She hasn't just been a judge, but also a guide to inspire. Surprisingly these two Honcho's took her words seriously despite her age.

    Oldest daughter of Cláudia and Von Cadarvic. Her very status as a duke's daughter helped citizen's nod their heads, and turn a blind eye. Also she was too adorable, such eye candy for the souls. Not everyday a noble would take part in commons entertainment.

    Overly excited and thrilled, Alicia couldn't wait as she pushed Krad to get to the market. They had to hurry. Her seasonal drama was about to begin and she had a front row seat!

    She swore up and down, in Krad's past life, he had to have been a woman. By god he'd put the modern women to shame with how long he takes. Even her past life's friend was faster than him, and she was a perfectionist fashionista for goodness sake!

    Krad laughed at the pouting Alicia as she shoved him with all her might. Pulling his sword he'd been polishing away, he reluctantly relented with her wishes.

    Krad was helpless as her guard, wherever she went, he had to follow. With no complaints of course. He was the one who volunteered for the position after all. His way of paying a debt of gratitude.

    Picking her up, cradling her legs as he lifted her to his shoulder, Krad and Alicia made their way to the market with time to spare.

* * *

    Teeming with people, the marketplace roared into action when the judge sat upon her seat. Her guard took up a protective stance behind her.

    Nothing fancy, a simple black wood chair from Pete's shop across the way. The table, carved from mahogany wood, was a beauty despite its simplicity. This one she recognized as Kelly's.

    Shivering at the smooth surface, Alicia composed herself as she took in the set and actors.

    Different from Television, real life comes with its own thrills. Not a thing is planned out, no script, no conclusion, no credits upon the end. Just life and the surprises that follow.

    Sometimes, you can predict the outcome. Obvious as how all the pieces point to one conclusion.

    Other times, you haven't a clue how things will end. Because the scene is so chaotic, the important details are covered up perfectly.

    Yet then, there's the last outcome. Just like the first, the plot walks down a straight narrow hallway. No doors, no windows. Just the walls and two directions, back and forward.