Chapter 22: Kuhrons, We do not share

Crisp nightfall wrapped the Ducal residence. Little bugs of fire light left their comforts of home, lighting up the darkness with warm tones of gold and amber.

Whimsically floating and dancing, a few lit up the faces of three large men down below. Bravely some landed on the oldest one's shoulders.

Roy clicked his tongue.

"Oh Little Al, already entering the second day, still she stubbornly refuses to leave that man's side. Just what has gotten into her?" Roy shook his head in bafflement.

"Besides an assortment of terrible wounds, tattered clothes, what is there for her to gain? That willful little mouse, who would believe she'd take in a burden without some form of profit? She'd done the same with gullible Krad here, even to the point the fool refused to see reason."

"Roy, it's not nice to talk behind someone's back, this I know." Von sighed heavily. "But answer me this, why must you do it to the poor fool's face?"

Von looked to Krad whom remained silent in pity. Ever since the man had been brought on as his daughter's guard, Roy's venomous tongue showed no mercy to the poor fellow. His personal guard Roy had never been so talkative. It's as if he'd returned to his academy days.

What Von didn't know was that Roy was beyond bitter with Krad. No, not just bitter, he'd reached the level where mere lemons could not pucker his lips. Even if hundreds had past his tongue, their acid could never injury him like the bitterness he felt for Krad.

Roy could let pass the role of guard for his little niece. So what if it was stolen from him? He had no problems with that. None at all. He swears! But by the gods, he did not agree to that fool taking hold of his story time. That was his personal time with his darling niece!

THAT BASTARD! He endlessly cursed, hoping the god Furvus would hear and strike him down! Even his Pepper gave more attention to that bastard!

"What room do you have to talk, Von?" Roy snorted at his lord's roaming eyes, refusing to look anywhere but him. "Seriously, makes me wonder who Little Al got this greedy stubborn streak from. Von, whom do you think's to blame, mmm?"

Disturbed by Von's poor attempts of changing the subject, his coughing scattered the innocent bugs resting on his shoulders. "Enough useless chatter."

Von's expression became serious. "It's time." Roy too had wiped the smirk off his lips. Both looked towards their younger companion.

"Krad, as per ordered by his majesty the emperor, Roy and I must attend to business and won't be returning for a few days- possibly longer." Von narrowed his eyes. "The residence is under your supervision until our return. Protect our family well."

Von patted Krad's shoulder, squeezing it hard. "All is to be as I left it when I return, understood?"

"Understood, my lord."

Upon seeing his lord off, staying a bit longer as both men vanished into the darkness, Krad drew his sword, stabbing into a nearby tree.

"You live only at the grace of my lord." Krad emotionlessly spoke.

Laying pinned to the tree, shadow wrapping all but his face, was a man cloaked in black. His eyes full of anger pointed daggers towards Krad.

"Inform your master, we appreciate the warm bodies kindly donated our way. Our manor's beasts have been quite sated as of late." Krad smirked as he released the man back into the night.

Knitting his brows, a flash of disgust washed across his face as he pulled out a handkerchief, cleaning his blade. "It's been long enough, anymore and she'll make herself sick."