Falling For My Best Friend's Sister {10} - Edited.

Lucky's POV:

After Mike and I had left the nurse’s office, we didn’t head back to class. School was actually almost over with only ten minutes remaining, so there really wasn’t any point in going back. I could just tell Mrs. Burnstein the reason tomorrow, or maybe Kassie’s already done it for me.

It wasn’t really my idea to ditch last period as much as it was Mike’s idea, but I could tell he wasn’t really in the mood to go back in and face the anxiety most teenagers felt when it was the end of the day and they were still stuck inside in the most boring-est class ever.

Mike and I headed towards the back of the school where there was a small park with big trees, fluffy bushes, and beautiful flowers planted everywhere. We lay on the ground underneath one of the tallest trees I have seen yet.

I cuddled close to him, hugging his chest and when Mike looked over to me, I blushed. I couldn’t tell from his expression whether he was going to let me stay like that or if he was going to move away. He simply kissed my head and stroked my hair with the hand placed underneath my head. I closed my eyes and let his soft fingers move through my hair.

“When do you want to know?” he asked me all of a sudden then.

“What?” I wondered, opening my eyes and looking up at him.

“My secret.” He answered me simply, yet serious at the same time.

“Later,” I closed my eyes once again. “I just want to enjoy these last moments together.”

As much as I wanted to know who this other chick was that Mike was crushing on just as hard as he was on me, I also didn't want the little connection that we had togeether to get destroyed once I did find out. So my only wish was to spend as much as time possible with Mike before he told me about her, because I knew that as soon as he told me about her, he’d leave me for her and I’d never get a chance to being this close to him again!

I wasn't selfish enough to actually keep him away from his happiness and away from the girl of his dreams. I couldn’t be that cruel. Mike just meant too much to me and I couldn’t hurt him like that.

I remembered the old saying: ‘If you love something – or in my case, someone – let it go. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never yours to begin with.

“What are you thinking about?” Mike asked from next to me.

“No-nothing.” I lied, though I could feel my voice cracking.

Mike sat up a little then and stared into my eyes, but I averted his gaze and stared up at the sky instead.

“Hey, Lucky, what’s up? What’s the matter?” Mike turned my face around to look at me.

“It’s nothing.” I insisted.

“Are you sure?” he didn’t break my gaze. “Because you know you can tell me anything. And I mean anything at all that’s on your mind.”

“Yeah,” I muttered. “I know.”

I buried my face in Mike’s chest. I wasn’t necessarily crying, but mostly just lying there enjoying Mike’s warm breath blowing on my face coming out through his nose and the soft thudding of his heart beating. I could feel Mike wrapping his arms around me and stroking my back with his fingers.

I’m not sure how long we lay there together like that, but it made me forget about everything else around me – Mike’s secret, his other love, Kassie, Danny, even the whole world. It was as if all my worries were melting away and leaving behind only happiness.