Prologue

Present time, evening
Lovely restaurant in Purgatory

"You've got to be kidding me." Those were the insulting little words thrown by the petite short girl with wavy brown hair and hazel eyes. If Nicole would just set aside the degrading tone she couldn't avoid hearing, she would admit that the brunette in blue floral dress was the most beautiful girl she has ever seen in her life. Minus the attitude, of course. "You set me up with a girl, Chrissy."

Nicole continued to sit uncomfortably on her chair. She was trying her best to pretend she couldn't hear the conversation on her right. But the brunette wasn't even trying to minimize her voice. It was loud enough for Nicole to hear or maybe, Nicole just had superb hearing.

The restaurant was not crowded at the moment, with at least three or four tables occupied by couples. Nicole thought they seemed to be having the time of their lives while she was having her worst.

The waiter's eyes followed her every movement, probably because she had the most attention seeker of a hair – being a ginger. Nicole had completely accepted the fact that she couldn't really blame her Irish roots. She used to dye her hair black or brown, but the hair dye products usually didn't last weeks and were by far the most expensive maintenance Nicole has noted.

Now that she's living the life of an independent college student while working part-time at the mall arcade, hair dye products were now the least of her worries.

The redhead took another glance at the brunette, who's still arguing with her friend with blonde curls and glasses. The redhead rolled her eyes. It was apparent that Waverly didn't want to be here.

"Waves, I'm really sorry," Chrissy explained in a hushed tone. "I had no idea. Jeremy didn't mention Nick was a girl."

Nick? With a K? What am I, Nick Jonas?Nicole's nostrils flared as she took her phone out and sent a quick message to Rosita.

Nicole: What the hell, Rosie? You set me up with a straight girl!

When she didn't get a response, Nicole averted her gaze to the lovely old couple nearby and her mind wandered off to the thoughts of her parents. They would certainly look like that, all loved up and still on their thousandth date every Saturday night. If only they were still alive.

Nicole shrugged herself and drank a mouthful of soda as Waverly suddenly appeared and took a seat in front of her. Up close, she looked so breathtaking. There was something about her hazel eyes and how the skin creases around them and the way her cheeks glowed when she smiled at her. Waverly had the loveliest smile, even if Nicole knew it was forced.

What she saw before her was a perfect image of a cheerleader/Prom Queen, probably in the royalty section in their school – straight as a ruler.

"I'm sorry about that," Waverly uttered, with a hint of nervousness from her voice. "There was some kind of a misunderstanding... My friends didn't-"

"It's okay, Miss Gibson," Nicole butted in, giving her best smile back. She's used to this kind of confrontations in life. As a matter of fact, no matter how much she disliked it, being an experiment was what she is known towards straight girls. "You know we don't have to do this."

Waverly's eyebrows furrowed and forehead slightly wrinkled in confusion. It looked adorable to Nicole's eyes.

"You can call me Waverly, and no, no, you've come a long way, from Edmonton... I... The least I could do is give you the best night-"

Nicole let out a loud laugh. A couple pair of heads turned to look at them. She licked her lips nervously.

"We don't have to pretend we like each other, Waverly," Nicole quickly said as she saw the waiter slowly making his way towards them. "I know you expected someone else to be here and I'm really sorry I did not meet such expectations-"

"Hey, it was not my fault Jeremy did not specify any detail that would help me, you know, figure this out, okay?.... Mm, it was all a rush, so sudden. I just graduated, and my friends thought it would be a good idea to do this blind date thing before heading off to college... And who would've thought that Nick could also be a girl's name..."

Nicole smirked as the waiter finally approached them. She could tell that Waverly was already rambling, trying to redeem herself, trying to hide the disgust the redhead could clearly see from her face.

"May I take your orders, Madams?" The waiter politely asked. But Nicole graciously swatted him away by saying, "Just the bill please."

"But we haven't even ordered yet?" Waverly asked in a surprised tone.

Nicole sighed. "Okay, what's your order then?"

"Umm, whatever you're having, I guess," Waverly hesitantly replied.

"I'm not ordering anything," Nicole said, drinking another sip from her can of soda. Waverly was now glaring at her and Nicole had never seen such piercing hazel eyes stare right back at her.

"I'll give you both some time and come back later, as you pleased," the waiter hurriedly said, noticing the tension between Nicole and Waverly.

Nicole's phone suddenly chimed.

Rosita: Shit! I'm sorry, Nic! I thought Jeremy knew!

Then Nicole spoke without looking at Waverly, "It's N-I-C actually, short for Nicole. Only my close friends call me that. Must have slipped to mention I'm gay and all. Not that it would cause any discomfort on your part. Congratulations, by the way. Valedictorian, right?"

"Thanks." Waverly blushed for a moment then immediately shook her head. "But no, of course it's not a discomfort. It's just that I wasn't expecting for this-"

It was only then that Nicole finally had the courage to speak what she's been holding behind her tongue, "Waverly, it's not your fault you're being cautious. I mean, I get that you come from a town with close minded people who's not used to people like me existing and-"

"Hey," Waverly interjected, now slightly mad. "We're not like that. And... And we have gay people in Purgatory. And my bestfriend Jeremy is also gay. And we also celebrate pride month."

Nicole scoffed while rolling her eyes. "That doesn't mean you're not homophobic anymore-"

"What?!" Waverly exclaimed, her fingers clutching the side of the table. Nicole worried she'd flip the table anytime now, with her perfect muscular tanned arms.

"-because it's really an exclusive preference-" Nicole continued but was interrupted again by Waverly's clearly upset voice.

"What did you say about me?" The brunette hissed at her.

Nicole bit her lower lip as she reiterated, "That you're a homophobe?"

Something wet and cold hit Nicole straight into the face. "What the?" Nicole quickly wiped her face with the sleeves of her jacket. Then the sight of Waverly fuming with an empty glass in her hand came into view.

"I am not what you think I am, asshole!" Waverly exclaimed, all the people in the restaurant now had their attention. Then she hissed at a lower voice, "I am the nicest person in Purgatory! I got a sash!"

And with that, Waverly stormed off leaving Nicole still drenched in water, mad and confused. Frustration for the brunette was now at its brink but Nicole did her best to maintain a calm appearance amidst the embarrassment as she handed her payment to the waiter and left the place.