Chapter 16

Next Friday, late afternoon
Grocery store, Edmonton Mall

Nicole was pushing a trolley filled with goodies between the long aisles of pastries and various spreads.

Vegan mayo. Vegan mayo. The redhead was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't even notice her phone was ringing inside her pocket.

Last Sunday was sort of Nicole's realization point. She knew she had to get over a certain brunette because they will never ever be more than friends. She knew she had to release all her feelings and bury them in the ground. That was why Nicole decided to do Plan A - moving on from her undying love towards Waverly. Rosita had helped Nicole with said plan. The only rules were the following :

1. Do not accompany Waverly alone. Someone else must be there.
2. Avoid interaction with Waverly if alcohol is involved.
3. If it can't be avoided, you can still watch movies with Waverly, but do not ever watch romantic movies you and the brunette can relate to.
4. Be casual. Do not make it obvious you're avoiding Waverly. Only small talks.
5. Lastly and most importantly, do not ever stare right into Waverly's eyes when she gives you that look.

The redhead was doubtful if it would really work, but so far through the days that followed, Nicole was sure she's getting there. Nevertheless, there's always plan B, which was to move out the apartment. This was not completely ideal for Nicole.

At least, the plan had made Nicole finally choose an ending fit for her book. She proofread it one last time before sending to Professor Dolls earlier that afternoon. She was still on her nerves, even though Professor Dolls reassured her that the publishing company would still go through as promised.

Last night's interaction invaded Nicole's head once again. Waverly knocked on her bedroom door and invited her to do some groceries the following day. Nicole immediately remember number one rule of Plan A.

The redhead excused herself that she was busy for her book and offered to buy Waverly's essentials on her behalf since Nicole also worked there.

That's why before she decided to clock in for work, Nicole went first by the grocery store. The brunette had promised to give her a ride home after work because of the things Nicole bought for her. Now, she began to wonder if the plan would work if she'd just sit on the backseat.

Vegan mayo. Nicole finally found the one specifically indicated by Waverly on her grocery list.

Then she pulled out her phone from her pocket and noticed one missed call from the brunette. She was supposed to send out a text asking why Waverly called when she accidentally bumped the trolley to the girl standing in front of her.

"Nicole?" Familiar voice. Nicole looked up after apologizing a hundred of sorry and found Aster in a light green jacket over a pale pink shirt.

"Aster, oh God, I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking," Nicole hurriedly said.

"It's okay," Aster replied, smiling from ear to ear. She wasn't carrying any basket or pushing any trolley with her. "I haven't seen you around since our last date." Aster said the word 'date' in air quotes.

Nicole laughed. "Yeah, I guess. I've been busy finishing my book."

"Oh, how was it?" Aster asked, not looking at her anymore and instead picked a jar of peanut butter from the shelf.

"I.. well... I finished it," Nicole said, licking her lips nervously. "I submitted the final draft to my Professor earlier today."

Aster looked at her with widened eyes, mouth open. "Nicole, that's great news!"