Chapter 31

Days later, afternoon
Library, University of Alberta

Brown eyes scanned the library from left to right, looking for a certain brunette. A couple of tables were filled by varsity students wearing letterman jackets, probably making up for those minor subjects they had missed during practice.

A wide smile spread across Nicole's face as she saw a familiar wavy brown hair. Waverly was wearing a huge yellow sweater and a beige scarf around her neck. Her smile immediately disappeared upon seeing the brunette's frown. Waverly was flipping some colorful study notes before her.

"Hey, what's with the long face?" Nicole greeted the brunette, kissing the top of her head. The smell of sweet daisies infiltrated the redhead's nose. She took a seat beside Waverly.

Waverly placed down her notes and snaked her arms around Nicole, resting her head against the latter's chest. "I'm just nervous about the results of my exams. It's so frustrating."

The redhead wrapped her arm around Waverly's shoulder, rubbing and squeezing them. "I'm sure you did great, Waves. I don't even know why you're worried."

"I just, I don't know, Nic. I feel like I did something wrong on the essay portion about the Incas in Peru. I feel like I haven't justified enough on their inventions."

"Well, I'm sure the Incas would be proud of your justification," Nicole said, comforting the brunette beside her. "I'm sure they'd have built you a monument."

Waverly softly chuckled, looking up at the redhead and placing a kiss on her jawline. Then she looked away and muttered, "I don't know how I'm gonna last the weekend waiting for the result. The agony is driving me insane."

Something sparked inside the redhead's brain upon the mention of the word 'weekend', remembering Olivia's text message a while ago.

"Do you want to go with me to Fort McMurray this Saturday? It's my Granny Doris' birthday."

Days later, noon
Doris' house, Fort McMurray

The sun was bright outside the two-story red-bricked house of Doris. The guests were in the backyard seated around a white iron table, overlooking a manmade pond and a small garden beside it. An unfamiliar fiftyish handyman named Carl, and his wife Megan were also there. Nicole liked it that her grandmother was still making friends.

"So, you're the girl my little Nicky is obsessed about?" Doris asked, smiling from ear to ear.

"Granny," Nicole warned, face totally flushed.

Doris raised her hands as if she was held up by a police officer. "I only say the truth and nothing but the truth."

Waverly let out a soft laugh and replied, "Well, Nicole here is the sweetest person I know."

"Mm, I raised Nicole to be that," Doris said, squeezing Waverly's hand on the table. "So tell me if she has stopped being sweet to you and I'll personally visit Edmonton and tell her to grow up myself."

Nicole laughed nervously, still red, upon seeing the interaction between her girlfriend and grandmother. Waverly's indeed the nicest person even in Fort McMurray.

Then Olivia suddenly came out from the kitchen, bringing a large round pink cake Waverly had picked out on the drive earlier. Candles were already lit on top of the cake as the taller redhead covered them with her hand.