Chapter 5

The next day, early noon
Wynonna's apartment

Waverly almost gave Nicole a heart attack when the latter made her way to the kitchen. Nicole opened the fridge and looked for a bottle of water. Waverly was sprawled on the floor, holding her head and groaning from the pain.

"Hangovers are the worst," Nicole chatted as she took a swig of water. "I thought you're stronger than Whiskey."

"Shut up," Waverly groaned. "I'm supposed to be studying tonight. And I can't even get up."

Nicole laughed as she offered her hand, helping Waverly on her feet. The touch sparked something inside of Nicole. She then realized this was the first time Waverly and her touched each other. Her skin just felt so right and soft against her.

Nicole's eyes then travelled to Waverly's neck. They widened in surprise.

"Did Champ stay for the night?" Nicole suddenly asked as she helped Waverly on the sofa. As soon as Waverly took a seat, Nicole felt slightly disappointed on the loss of contact.

"What? Champ? No," Waverly answered, more of a whisper. "Why?"

"Wait, did you have sex with Champ?" Nicole asked, though she wished she hadn't.

"What?! Of course, not! It's just the start of my school term and you thought I'd just let him have me?" Waverly took the question from Nicole like an insult. But Nicole was just asking because she deeply cared for the brunette.

"I know, but your neck is kinda saying the opposite."

"What?! We were just making out, Nicole!" Waverly explained, covering her neck with her hands. "Besides, I barely even know Champ."

"Yeah, Champ doesn't deserve you, Waves, you know that," Nicole said, as she turned her back and made her way to the bathroom.

"Oh, boohoo with your love advice," Waverly spat. "You don't even like guys."

Nicole stopped on her tracks, realizing now that the harmless banter was back.

"I don't, but I know Champ. He's just targeting first years just to get them to bed. I suspect you should be aware of that before you start spreading your legs wide for him."

"How dare you?" Waverly spat. "You don't even know me, Nicole. Stop acting like you know people just because of their actions."

"Okay.. But I know Champ... He-"

"Why are you doing this?" Waverly sighed, as she massaged her forehead. "We're not even friends."

"Forgive me for caring about you, Waverly," Nicole hissed. "It's just that you deserve someone better than him."

Waverly forced a sarcastic laugh. "And what? You think you're better than him? So I should be with a lesbian then? Is it because when you have sex with a girl you don't end up getting pregnant?"

Nicole froze.

"God, Waverly, I would never ask you to be someone you're not," Nicole said, hurt evident on her voice. "And you should tell that to Champ."

"Really? And what's all those sneaking glances at me when I'm doing weekend yoga? Or when I'm eating at the school cafeteria? Nicole, you're attracted to me, and that's why you're saying all these mean things about Champ?"

Nicole then regretted having a crush on Waverly. "Wow," Nicole scoffed. "Just because I'm gay does not mean I like you."

"You're the one with all these flirty tones," Waverly spat. "You know what, I think you're just mad because I don't like you that way."