Chapter 3

I push my suitcase to the ground pulling out the first thing I see jeans and a sweatshirt. I grab them in my arms not wasting anytime to stop and put them on. I pick my shoes up and my bag from the little table in the hall. I need to get the hell out of this house.

I swing open the front door. The cold air burns my dark red ringed swollen eyes. I don't know where I'm going but it won't be long till he calls the police. I can't stop the tears falling hard and fast out my eyes and the loud sighs that follow. I follow my feet to where ever they will lead me. The rain falls heavly making my almost naked body shiver. I don't look back. I keep running through the dark, empty street the only ounce of light that is seen coming is from the tall bright lamp posts every so often creating my dark shadow across the stoned pavement.

I can't stop myself to put my clothes on. The memories of his expression when the knife inserted him keeps replaying in my head. All these bad memories will always be imprinted In my brain. He's caused me so much pain. That I can no longer feel I feel completely numb to it.

I see flashlights coming towards me. Could it be him. How can he drive he was in so much pain only minutes ago. Am I ever going to get away from here, away from him? Relief is spread across me when a taxi pulls up next to me.

"Do you need a ride?" The man asks giving me a sympathetic smile.

"Yes." I try to smile back but it comes out more of an awkward forced smile.

I rush into the back of the taxi and see the man giving me an awkward look through the mirror. I look down and then realise I'm still in my under wear my marks clearly visible and my face shows the amount I've been crying. I probably look like a mad woman.

"Where do you want to go? The driver asks bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Airport." I softly answer.

"Are you trying to get away from someone?" He questions.

"What makes you ask that?" My curiosity gets the best of me.

"I've been a taxi driver for long enough to know if a girl is upset and walking the streets in the middle of the night. Then getting a taxi to the airport she is trying to escape from a man." He replies.

"Well to answer your question I am leaving my boyfriend. But I don't really feel like talking about it right now." I answer truthfully.

"Okay hun, well you relax back there." He turns up the music and seconds later he's drowned out signing along to the lyrics.

I pull the pink, satin sweatshirt over my head and onto my stomach bringing all the painful scars out of view and pulling the jeans up my legs. I place my black laced shoes on and search my bag for my passport. Luckily I remembered to put it in my bag. I calm myself down and wipe my face with wipes I found in my bag. I take a glance at my phone. The evil man's face pops up on my lockscreen and it takes me back to the day he burned me with his steaming cup of coffee for changing my lockscreen to a picture of myself. He warned me that nobody else could be my screen cover but him so people knew I was in a happy relationship. It makes no sense at all but he just liked to control me in every possible way. To make sure I didn't have a chance to make any of my own decisions.

I slide my phone open and decide to clear everything of it. Minutes later everything is wiped if only my mind could repeat those exact actions. I pull out the sim card and snap it in half. I won't be able to make any calls till I get a new one. But I would rather not be able to contact anyone than him keep trying to reach me.

I place my phone back in my bag and pull out the journal my mum bought me months ago. "Write in this if you ever have any problems it helps you to solve them." She told me. I've never had the chance to write in it. There's no time like the present my subconscious throws in. I open the front page and begin to write across the top line THE TRUTH BENEATH THE SMILE.