its been you

ITS BEEN YOU

when daniel snuck back into his room that night, he couldn't help but think about what happened after jack, jonah and him ditched the scene. was corbyn's posse okay?

the morning after, daniel sat at the diner jonah had taken him to days earlier alone, picking at the hash browns  in his basket.

"maybe working with jonah isn't the best idea." daniel thought sighing as he slouched in the booth. daniel was desperate for friends, maybe that's why he took up jonah's offer. maybe he was scared. daniel didn't know.

"hey." daniel looked up from the table ground.

"how did you find me?"

"this town is small. it's easy to find people. you work for jonah marais, huh?" daniel swallowed the lump in his throat, staring at the blond who sat across the table from him.

"i shouldn't be speaking to you. jonah said he'd kick my ass." daniel mumbled.

"him and i used to be good friends," corbyn said, grabbing a piece of bacon out of daniel's basket. "we used to work together. you know, deal drugs." daniel furrowed his brows.

"what happened?"

"i'm too smart to be working with someone like him." corbyn said, crossing his arms. "that's when he met jack. and now apparently he's met you too. jonah is a pussy. he's only using you for his benefit. he needs someone smarter than him. he's dumb. he dropped out of high school. he's putting your life on the line, having you do the deals so you get shot instead of him." corbyn said.

"that's not true." daniel said, becoming defensive.

"you only met him a week ago. you don't know anything." corbyn said.

"with your smarts, you'll take over all the business me and my partner get. that's why my partner is out to get jonah. maybe you should rethink your deal with him." corbyn said, getting up from the booth, exiting the diner.

corbyn was only speaking the truth, jonah wasn't smart enough to be dealing drugs by himself. he needed someone skilled to help him. daniel pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration before pulling out his wallet, placing money on the table.

he jogged out to his car, unlocking it before getting inside, nearly speeding to marais mechanics. he knew he couldn't tell jonah about speaking to corbyn, he'd have to tiptoe around the encounter.

daniel parked the car before heading inside the shop.

"i don't want to work with you anymore." daniel blurted out, standing next to jonah who was busy changing someone's brake fluid.

"you're funny, dan." jonah said, mindlessly ruffling daniel's hair. daniel sighed.

"yeah, i am. really funny." daniel mumbled, watching as jonah worked.

"hand me that bottle, will you?" jonah said, pointing to the oil on the tool box. daniel quickly handed it to him. "we have business to take care of later, so you can just head over to jack's now if you'd like. i'll call him, let em' know." jonah said.

"alright." daniel said, heading back out to his car.

"that backfired miserably." daniel thought, pulling out of the parking lot. he knew he had to ask jack questions about jonah when he arrived.

"jack!" daniel called as he entered jack's house.

"in the basement!" daniel nodded as he headed downstairs. "hey dan, we're going to try and deal the pound of coke again—"

"that's not my name. it's daniel." daniel said as he sat down across from jack at the table.

"oh. well, anyways, we're going to try and deal the pound again later today. sound good?" jack asked. daniel nodded.

"what do you think about corbyn?" daniel asked, setting a baggie of weed in it's street pile after jack tossed it at him. jack looked up from what he was doing.

"why?"

"just curious."

jack shrugged.

"i think jonah over reacts. they used to be friends, you know." daniel grinned.

"really?" jack nodded.

"yep. corbyn left him when he didn't agree with how jonah was running things. met his posse we saw last night." jack said, tossing daniel another baggie.

"do you think jonah genuinely cares about you?" daniel asked. "or is he just using us."

"don't be silly, daniel. jonah genuinely cares, he just has a hard time showing it. his parents made him drop out of school to work at that shop of their's. his life is pretty fucked." jack said. "anyway, tomorrow is friday. drop off day. jonah told me he wants you there so you can explain to our dealer why we need a larger supply." jack said.

"okay." daniel said sighing.

"you alright?" jack asked.

"yep. just tired, that's all."

"maybe you should go home. we can pick you up before the deal." daniel nodded.

"alright. just honk when you pull up. bye, jack." jack waved as daniel left the house.

"jack told me his parents made him drop out, corbyn didn't." daniel thought. "so either jonah lied to jack, or corbyn lied to me."

daniel shook his head.

"corbyn wouldn't lie. he seems genuine."