its been you

ITS BEEN YOU

after a few days, jonah was up and walking again. it was raining in garden city, and daniel and jonah were at the shop. the two sat leaned up against the building, watching cars drive by. they shared a bottle of their favorite drink; cotton-candy vodka.

"my mom used to say something about the rain. some corny shit—something about dancing in the rain while you waited for the storm to pass. you ever hear the saying dan?" jonah asked, glancing over at daniel.

"i don't think so." daniel said, setting the glass bottle down.

"my mom killed herself." jonah said, picking up the bottle. "only three people went to her funeral. tragic!" jonah said, laughing.

"jack told me corbyn shot you." daniel said. "is that true?"

"yeah, it is. fuck him, y'know?" jonah said.

"i did do that!" daniel thought.

"yeah, fuck him." daniel said, grabbing the bottle. he took a swig, setting it back down. "you should've shot him back. i'm tired of hearing about him. i never know what to believe." daniel said.

"i may hate the mother fucker, but i couldn't just do that to him. i thought maybe he felt the same. guess he's just a back stabber, huh?" jonah said, slowly getting up.

"everyone here is apparently a back stabber."

"i got shit to work on. you stay safe, dan." jonah said, limping into the shop. daniel got up as well, heading out to his car.

"no matter what people say about him, i'm always gonna' feel the same way i've always felt." daniel mumbled to himself, picking up his phone. he dialed corbyn's number, holding the phone up to his ear as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"hey, asshole." daniel smiled at corbyn's voice.

"hey, c. i'm a little drunk right now, and i'm heading over to your place. let's go to that bakery down town, yeah? get a snack?"

corbyn thought about the last time daniel was drunk.

"you promise not to fuck things up?" corbyn asked.

"yeah, sure. bye." daniel said, hanging up. drunk driving was one thing, but distracted drunk driving was another.

-

"i know what you did." daniel mumbled as he bit into his donut.

"oh yeah? what did i do?" corbyn asked, placing his head in his palm.

"you shot jonah. you crazy mother fucker." daniel said, keeping quiet so nobody else in the building would hear.

"how do you know?"

"doesn't matter. i don't really care if you did or didn't. i mean, i did at first, but now i simply don't give two shits. jack told me everyone in this town is a back stabber, so it's whatever." daniel said, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"i did it for you."

"i know. that was unnecessary though, c. jack told me you'd just replace me after i get the fuck out of here. it's whatever, though. i guess i'm a back stabber, too. hanging out with you even though jonah said not to."

"i guess were even then." corbyn said.

"guess so. when do you think jonah is gonna die?" daniel asked as he leaned back in his chair.

"what do you mean?" corbyn asked.

"you think he's going to live long or die soon?" corbyn shrugged.

"i suppose if i would've shot him anywhere else he could've died then. i guess i just don't know. we could die right now, the roof could cave in."

"i'm surprised i haven't died yet. your posse almost killed jack and i, y'know." daniel said.

"yeah, whatever. i have to be home soon, i have plans." corbyn said, reaching over the table. he grabbed daniel's donut, taking a bite.

"oh yeah? what do you got going on?" daniel asked, intrigued.

"i'm having someone over." corbyn said.

"oh." daniel mumbled. "you should probably get home now then. let's go." daniel said, stretching as he stood up.

the car ride to corbyn's was mostly quiet, an occasional few sentences here and there.

"are you going to have sex?" daniel asked as they turned down corbyn's street.

"why?" corbyn asked.

"just wonderin'."

"maybe, maybe not. i guess i'll just have to see how the night goes." daniel nodded as he parked in corbyn's driveway. "thanks for the ride home, and the whole bakery thing." corbyn said as he unbuckled his seatbelt, turning to look at daniel.

"yeah, no problem." daniel could feel his heart pick up as he looked at corbyn. daniel couldn't help but lean in. he cupped corbyn's cheek, pulling him close. the kiss only lasted a few seconds, but to daniel it felt like hours. corbyn slowly pulled away, biting his bottom lip. "don't moan my name while you're with your new boy-toy." daniel said, a grin on his face.

"whatever, asshole."