Twelve

⬜⬛⬜ Reid's POV ⬜⬛⬜

I held a cold coffee in my left hand as I nervously bit the nails on my right hand. The bags under my eyes were probably worse than ever, as well as the dark circles. Jade has been in surgery for about four hours now and there is no new news on her condition.

"Do you want a fresh- well, fresher cup of coffee?" Garcia asked me. I just nodded my head and handed her the old cup I had.

The only thing I could even stomach right now is coffee. I've tried eating but I just couldn't swallow anything. Morgan and JJ have been trying to convince me that Jade will be okay but I just wouldn't listen.

"Here you go, sweetness," Garcia said, handing me a new steaming cup of coffee.

"Thank you," I hoarsely muttered. She smiled brightly and back down sat next to me.

I took a sip of the hot liquid and felt it go down into my empty stomach. Almost as if on cue, my stomach growled but I will not obey its demands. I can't even think about food right now. Jade is all I care about.

"Reid."

I looked up and met the cold, demanding eyes of Hotch. He motioned me towards him, signaling he needed to talk privately.

I stood up and walked silently over to him.

"Yeah?" I nervously asked.

"Zane has been caught," he stated. My eyes widened.

"Let me talk to him," I immediately said.

Hotch shook his head. "No, I can't do that."

"Why not?! What am I going to do to him?!" I yelled.

"Reid, just understand-"

"Relatives of Jade Victors?"

I turned around and sped over to the nurse.

"Is she okay? What happened? Please tell me she's still alive," I blurted out.

She smiled softly. "She's alright. She-"

"Thank god!" I yelled. I couldn't describe the happiness I felt at the moment. Tears fell from my eyes but they were happy tears.

She laughed. "She's asking for umm.." she peaked at her board. "Spencer?" She asked.

"Yeah, that's me," I happily said.

She motioned me to follow her down a hall. I gladly followed her. Each turn led to another hallway which led to another turn which led to another endless hallway. I couldn't help but let the anticipation get to me. I needed to see her. I needed to know she was okay.

"Ah! Here we are, room 178." The nurse opened the door and let me walk inside. My heart nearly leaped out of my chest once I saw her. She laid on the bed but she looked more broken than usual.

She lightly smiled at me. To anyone that would be a meaningless smile, but to me, that was the most gorgeous thing ever.

"Please tell me you look worse than me," she said. Her voice was dry and cracked. I chuckled at her.

"I'm thinking we both look about the same," I joked. In all honesty, despite the bruises, cuts and bandages, she was still such a breathtaking sight.

"Oh, gee, I must look perfect then," she said in a sarcastic tone.

"You have no idea," I quietly said but I know she heard.

I stood there for a moment just taking on the fact that she was alive and breathing. Then I walked over to her and held onto her hand securely.

"Reid," she whispered. I looked into her eyes and noticed they were blue now instead of green. A thine line of tears started to pile at the waterline of them.

"Jade," I replied. She blinked causing tears to fall down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry." She wiped her tears away. "I probably look so pathetic right now."

I scrunched my face up in confusion. "Pathetic?" I rhetorically questioned. "Jade, you're anything but pathetic. You are incredibly brave and strong."

"But....I should've-"

"No, Jade. Trust me, there's nothing you could have done to prevented this. Zane is a psychopath."

After that, she stayed silent but still continued to cry. I held onto her hand securely and from this moment on, I wouldn't let go of her.

Edited 12/14/16