I Think That Keeping This Up Could Be Dangerous - Chapter Five

Song title credit;
"Therapy" by All Time Low

ALEX

I woke up to sunlight pouring through the window and gleaming right on my face. I had the slightest bit of a headache and figured out where I was when I saw pictures of Leah and her family on the walls. I felt a small smile creep onto my face.

Just then Leah walked out of her room with nothing but a towel around her body.

"Shit!" She panicked and ran back into her room. "I thought you were still sleeping!" She exclaimed from the other side of the door. It didn't even phase me. I mean, she is my best friend after all.

"Leafy, it's all good." I laughed. "It might not be a big deal to you but it is to me." She came out in a baggy black and white plaid button up and black skinny jeans. Her face was flushed red, which I found adorable.

"So are you feeling a little better now that you've gotten some sleep?" She asked in a worried tone. I went to answer but the intercom buzzed.

"I'm sorry. That must be Jack." She said before standing up to open the door.

"Jack?" I asked myself.

"You can come up." She said into the microphone and in a matter of seconds, Jack came through the door with a rose in hand. Leah seemed taken back by it but when Jack saw me, he didn't speak out loud, he whispered something in her ear then handed the rose to her, which, might I add, she took willingly.

"Did you randomly pick this out?" She asked him while she admired the flower. "Yeah." He chuckled. "I didn't know which one you would've preferred so I just chose one that was the most common for using in this situation."

"You chose wisely because roses are my favorite type of flower." She smiled. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He smiled back.

"I'm going to go put this in some water. Be right back." She said before leaving the room.

"Hey Alex. Are you okay? You just walked out last night. Leah was really worried." Jack said as he sat down next to me.

"What are you doing here?"

I know I skipped right over what he asked me but my mind was still stuck on the question; What in the hell is he doing here?!

I cleared my throat when I realized he was staring at me weirdly. Like he was trying to process what I just said.

"I didn't meant for it to come out so rudely."

"Leah and I are going out today. And before you get the wrong idea, no, it's not a date." He laughed. "We're just going out as friends."

"Would you mind if I tagged along?" I asked. "Tag along to what?" Leah asked as she walked out of the kitchen. "When you and Jack are going out. I could use a distraction." I said. "Of course." She smiled.

"I'm going to go do my makeup so I'll be a little bit."

"Alright. I'll take a taxi to my hotel and change while you do that." I stood up. "Are you going to stay here?" I asked Jack.

"Yeah." He nodded and with that, I headed out the door.

LEAH

I sat down at my vanity and started doing my makeup when Jack walked in with a serious expression on his face. A facial expression I haven't saw since I met him.

"Can we talk.. you know, about last night?" He ran a hand through his hair nervously. "Sure. What's up?" I said without looking away from the mirror.

"Well I just wanted to apologize for what I did. I don't know what happened. I just felt so.. drawn in. I know it sounds cheesy but it's true." He sat on the end of my bed.

"If we're being honest here, I felt paralyzed. That's why I didn't move until I gathered my thoughts. It's like I just couldn't bring myself to do anything. I don't know, it was weird."

He looked at me and my face started turning red.

"N-not the kiss. The kiss was fine, uh I-I mean what we both felt." I stuttered then sighed. "I worded that wrong"

"I understand what you're trying to say." He chuckled and I laughed awkwardly.

"I should probably leave you to your makeup." He said and stood up.

"You don't have to. I enjoy having someone to talk to while I'm doing stuff like this." I finally looked at him and smiled.

A small smile formed on his lips. "Alright." He sat back down.

---------

I got done doing my makeup before Alex got back from getting changed. He was probably doing his hair.

While Jack and I made small talk, I started feeling more close to him. He told me some things I never would have guessed about him and as did I about myself. Underneath that big ego and unbreakable shell of goofiness, lied an extremely lovable and open guy. That must be why he has so many friends.

While Jack and I were in a fit of laughter, Alex walked in with a blue and black plaid button up, skinny jeans and boots. Of course his hair was done. That's what took him so long, his hair always had to be perfect.

ALEX

"So where are we going?" I asked.

"We're just walking around." Leah answered and stood up.

"Shall we go then?" Jack said in a terrible English accent which made her giggle.

Why couldn't I make her giggle like that?

I felt a burning sensation in my chest. It was my old friend jealousy. Last time I felt this was when I first fell for Lisa in high school. Another guy was after her and he would make her laugh more than I could. That's what sparked my jealousy back then and now it's happening again. Talk about déjà vu.

I avoided glaring holes through Jack by turning around to head out the door.

"Let's go then." I said.