Be Anymore Obvious, Could You? - Chapter Six

Chapter title credit;
"Vegas" - All Time Low

ALEX

As we walked, all I could think about were Jack and Leah.

I huffed and shook my head slightly in attempt to get the thoughts out of my mind, but it didn't work.

"Lex?"

Leah's cheerful voice drew me out of my thoughts.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" She furrowed her eyebrows but the smile remained on her face.

"No. Sorry." I responded and she sighed.

"I was saying that I could save up money to move to Baltimore so we can be together again."

"That sounds awesome." I smiled. "But Cherry wants to come too. We're kind of a package deal." She added. "So bring her! It'll be double the fun then." I said.

"Let's go in here!" She exclaimed and we stopped right in front of a clothing store.

"What are we doing in here?" Jack and I asked at the same time when we entered the store.

"This isn't just a 'clothing store' it's a special effects and costume store. I want you guys to find the best costumes you can and put them on. For fun of course." She turned around. "Only if you do the same." I crossed my arms. "Oh I will. After you do yours. Deal?" She held out her hand to me and I sighed playfully then extended mine and shook hers. "Deal."

"Now let's go!" She said happily and starting running into an aisle. "Oh and did I mention that we each get to pick one costume for each other?" She smiled innocently when Jack and I caught up to her. What? No! You didn't mention it!" I exclaimed, a little worried at what she would pick out for me. "Don't panic, Lex. It's all good. You can't see what I'm picking out for you, Jack, or myself so go to the next aisle." She laughed and nudged me. "Fine. Meet you by the dressing room." I walked away and Jack followed.

"Hey Alex. Are you feeling okay?" Jack asked me as we were looking through costumes. He already had three piled in his arms while I hadn't even found one.

"Yeah, why?" I lied.

He was gonna say something when Leah walked into the aisle.

"Woah. Wow Jack. You already found three? I was going to see if you guys needed help but it seems like you don't." She said in surprise, she also has costumes in her hands. Then she turned her attention to me. "But Lex on the other hand might need it."

I have to admit, that did tick me off a little. I mean, Jack got special treatment because he found costumes? They wouldn't even be friends if it wasn't for me.

I huffed. "Actually, I don-" I stopped myself and thought for a couple seconds. "I.. do need help. I can't find the... um, sizes! Yeah sizes."

She furrowed her eyebrows at me then turned to Jack. "Can you meet us by the dressing room? We'll be done in a minute, I promise."

He nodded and headed to the dressing rooms.

"The sizes are on the tags, Lex." She said and look at me confusingly. "Oh yeah. You're right. I wasn't looking at the tags." I chuckled and mentally kicked myself for making up such a horrible excuse.

"I'm going to see what Jack picked out. Hurry up and join the fun!" She laughed before leaving in the direction Jack left.

As I watched her leave, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I took a deep breath and grabbed some costumes then followed Leah.

I darted into the dressing room to quickly change into a cowboy costume I chose at random.

"Okay guys, reveal your best costumes in three, two, one!"

Both Jack and I pushed open the door at the same time. I looked over to find him wearing the same thing.

"Woah! We have a tie." Leah laughed.

-----------

When we all got done dressing up and messing around, we continued to walk to wherever else Leah was taking us.

We ended up at the ice cream shop that Leah and I used to go to when we were in elementary school.

"Hi, I would like a cup with a mint scoop and a chocolate scoop." Leah said to the cashier.

I looked at her surprised. "You remembered?"

"Of course I would." She smiled.

When we came here as children, we would get the same thing every time and it would be a mint scoop and a chocolate scoop together in a cup. Then we would always sit and laugh while we ate it together.

It really surprised me that she could remember that small of a detail from our friendship so long ago.

"Now I understand why you and Alex love this place so much." Jack said before licking his ice cream cone.

"I'm glad. Now it can be all of our place. Not just Alex and I's." Leah smiled and looked at me. "Right?"

I felt my body fill with anger and my heart with jealousy.

No. It's not "all of our place." It's just ours. As in me and you Leah.

"I'll be right back." I said, standing up quickly and leaving.

After a couple minutes of trying to calm myself down, Leah walked out of the shop.

"You should go back to your boyfriend." I scoffed.

"Boyfriend? Who?" She asked. "Jack?"

She started laughing and I looked at her.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked in a serious tone. "We're just friends." She finally caught her breath. "Yeah. Okay." I said sarcastically.

"You're so easy to read. You know, if you were jealous, you could've just told me. Now, obviously, you're mad."

"Well, yeah. How can I not be when you're giving him the special treatment and completely fucking ignoring your best friend?"

"You think I was ignoring you?" Her eye widened in surprise. "Lex, I could never ignore you. Even if I was surrounded by other friends, I would always come to talk to you."

After a moment of silence, she spoke again. "Tell me why you're so jealous and mad."

My breath hitched in my throat and I froze.

Should I tell her?