Chapter 5: Winter Nights

Friday
5:30am

Haley

"Me?" I ask incredulously, "No way. Not even in your dreams, mister."

Finan smiles, a lustful glint hiding behind his charm, "Oh? But aren't you coming to my kingdom to become a child bearer? Should've kept driving little one."

I freeze as his words register in my mind. This is so messed up. I look at Maeve in search of help, but she looks away. Great. I look to Cathy, but she's a shaking mess of tears. I'm all alone in this.

"Actually," I muster up my courage and make it ooze out of my words, "Seeing as I'm not a faerie, you can't take me anywhere."

"Now what makes you think that, little human?" Finan walks around the couch and sits down in front of me on my wooden coffee table, suffocating me with his presence.

"Seeing as I haven't changed, that means I have no affinity for your world of magic. You have no use for me because if you take me as a human, I'll go crazy and won't be able to produce babies or become a faerie anyway," I say confidently, "I will go only if I can leave once Cathy has become situated with her new... life, but I will not stay and Cathy will not either if she does not want to, especially if she does not want to have any children."

Finan cocks his head to the side, analyzing me, "That's quite a list of demands for something that you hope is true."

"What?"

"You hope that because you haven't changed we won't take you and rip you away from your human life, but dear little human, you're wrong," Finan's eyes flint under the moonlight shining in through the windows of the house, giving him a sinister vibe as the corner of his lips tilting up in a complacent simper.

"What?" I ask breathlessly.

I stop myself from looking to Maeve for answers because she clearly isn't going to give them to me, and I keep my gaze on Finan. He's the only one who is actually telling me anything.

"Sometimes, powerful changelings need to connect to the land of faerie to be able to complete the change, and I suspect that is what is happening with you, little human," he sneers, "And once we've taken you to the land of faerie, I plan to auction you off and you will go to the highest bidder so that he can use your womb to deliver his children."

My hand flies to my stomach and I grip it tightly.

"And your friend, what's her name, Cathy? She's already a faerie and she will do as the king says once we go back to the land of Faerie."

Not the way I would have liked to expose such a well kept secret, but here goes nothing.

"Here's the thing though," I say with a sarcastic grin of my own, "I can't have kids and Cathy had leukemia as a child, wouldn't want little faerie children with cancer now would we?"

Two sharp gasps fill the room along with one sharp exhale and all eyes rest on me. Maeve walks forward, grabbing my shoulder so that I look up at her.

"What do you mean you can't have children? You never mentioned anything like that to me," she shakes me slightly as she speaks, "And you had leukemia? How did I not know that either?"

"My mom died of ovarian cancer," I respond, my determination steeling itself so that I wouldn't have to go with these demented faeries anywhere, "I developed a few bad cysts on one of my ovaries, so in fear that I would develop cancer myself, my mom had my doctors remove my ovaries."

"It's not exactly a conversation starter is it?" Cathy mutters, still hiding in her corner.

Finan clears his throat, calling our attention to him as he stands up to his dizzying height. I'm a tall gal myself, but this man is at least 6'4 and a wall of muscle.