Chapter 22: Have a Ball

*not edited*

Finan

"That search was useless," I mutter, handing my armor over to servants that scurry behind me as I take it off, "We were out since dawn only to find her old, used clothes."

Cathy nods her head as we continue walking through the palace halls, "There's not much we can do if Haley doesn't want to be found. I know I wouldn't want to be found considering everything."

I shoot Cathy a glare and she holds up her hands in mock surrender, "I'm being honest. I'd be sort of embarrassed if my mate, the person who is my destined soulmate, got someone else pregnant. That's just... embarrassing."

"How many times do I have to say that it happened before I met Haley?" I roll my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Okay, Ross," Cathy scoffs, "I'm gonna go back to Aden, let me know if you need anything else."

"I will, enjoy the ball tonight."

A few hours later, I stare out of the window of my study, thinking of where Haley could possibly be. I've searched with my father and Cathy over the past two months, but have had no luck in picking up her trail. The door to my study creaks open so I turn my attention back to my papers. Faith walks in, cradling the small bump on her stomach.

"I thought you were supposed to be helping the girls with their dresses," I mumble as I continue looking through my letters.

Faith walks further into my study, perching herself on the corner of my desk and watching me as I reply to letters.

"I was, but I thought it'd be better if I came up here to spend some time with you," Faith replies, picking up a letter from the Lord of Autumn.

I grab it from her hands and refrain from growling.

"Why would you think that?" I all, but snap.

Over the last month she has been at my side acting as if she were my mate. The court speculated, rightfully so, that Haley rejected me, and came to the conclusion that she is my mistress. I managed to get them to think Haley is off visiting other kingdoms seeing as she would've been the future queen, and they believed it.

"Because you've been so distant, and I feel like you're upset with me," Faith pouts, "I miss you."

"Faith," I shut my eyes and sigh tiredly, "We had nothing more than a one night stand. The fact that you happened to get pregnant does not mean you are anything to me besides the mother of my child."

Faith's sweet demeanor changes and a nasty snarl flourishes on her lips.

"Let me remind you that Haley left you," she hisses, "I'm the one pregnant with your child, and I'm the one loose end in your master plan to secretly get Haley back without letting anyone know she said she'd kill the royal court."

Faith gets off of my desk and puts a hand on my shoulder, brushing her lips against mine.

"Either you make me queen, or I burn your reputation to the ground."

I stand up, locking Faith in between my arms as I grip the table behind her.

"Speak to me like I am your inferior again, changeling," I say through gritted teeth, "And I will snap your neck the moment you give birth to my child."

Faith smirks and then laughs, "I'd like to see you try."

She shoves me off of her and walks toward the door to my study. I watch as she turns around before leaving, holding her bump and looking up at me from underneath her lashes.