Chapter 18: Enemy in the Sea

not edited

Haley

I get off of Finan's lap and smooth down my dress before the next couple of faeries can walk up the steps to the throne. The small sparks I felt from touching Finan had dulled into a small warmth that seemed to keep my spirits warm more so than my actual body, and I came to like it, just not the people who kept bothering us.

"I can't greet anymore people, I need some air," I say, my voice tight and my lips set into a thin line.

Finan nods his head and dismisses me with the wave of his hand. I feel my temper reach dangerous levels, but I reign in my emotions and curtsy to him.

Not the time, or the crowd, Haley.

As I walk down the steps, the crowd parts. Some of them whisper while others give me looks of disgust. My anger is impossible to control at this point, and I unfurl my wings to their entire capacity. The faeries around me don't recognize that it's my wings that push them out of the way because a wicked gust of air bursts around me, originating from within me. Most of the faeries gasp quietly, shocked by the power I show and I roll my eyes.

Guess what, bitches? A human is more powerful than you are.

"You're lucky they can't see your wings," I hear Finan's voice float through my mind, "Though, I feel lucky that I can. They certainly are a sight to see."

"How many freaking powers do you have, you freak?" I reply, beginning to shove his invasive presence out of my mind, "Stay out of my goddamn head."

I leave the ballroom and march my way out of the palace, the desire to gaze at the stars eating me up inside. The gust of fresh air that greets me soothes my skin and I sigh in relief, immediately relaxing tenfold.

"Haley?"

I turn around, finding Cassiel leaning up against the brick wall of the palace casually drinking from his goblet. His usual happy demeanor is replaced with a dull aura of an emotion I can't quite make out, or want to for that matter.

"Oh, hi, Cassiel," I mutter in reply as I take a step towards him, not thinking he meant me any harm, "Why aren't you inside? You're meant to be celebrating, aren't you?"

Cassiel scoffs, "I was a human too, Haley. I've always found these kinds of things unnecessary and over dramatic. Besides, what's to celebrate a bunch of girls getting kidnapped from the human world who are only going to be used for what's in between their legs and in their stomach?"

An unbelievable amount of pain courses through my chest at his words, and my stomach drops as my breath catches. I feel tears brim my eyes and I look away.

"Thanks for reminding me, Cassiel," I murmur, wiping my face.

I look back at Cassiel who looks like he just shot a puppy.

"I'm so sorry, Haley. I shouldn't have said that. That was so insensitive of me," he takes a few more steps forward until he's standing right in front of me, his eyes glossing over with a feeling I wish I wasn't familiar with.

Desire.

"I-I need to go back inside," I whisper, taking a step back, "Finan is waiting and so is the entire ballroom."

Cassiel's eyes harden and his face turns to stone, "You see, that's another thing I dislike. The royals are, quote on quote, blessed with mates while the rest of us have to settle. In my opinion, I think it's a total scam. Mates can't be real unless they're real for everyone. The claim Finan has on you is total bullshit and I'll prove it."