Chapter 13: Lord Cassiel

~not edited~

Haley

To say I'm seething is an understatement.

The moment the words left Lord Edward's lips, I shot to my feet and stormed my way into the palace and towards Finan's wing. I don't care that it could possibly get me in trouble nor do I care that it also looks terrible to an outsider seeing me stomp my way to Finan's bedroom.

My dress is bunched up in my hands and my hair is a wild river of opal behind me as I march to make a scene. The sky outside is rumbling with thunder and clouds are obscuring the light of the stars and moon, matching the climate of my temper.

"Lady!" I hear Lord Edward call after me, "Lady Haley!"

"What?" I shout as I turn around.

My nostrils are flared and I can feel my ears warming up to an unhealthy degree.

"I understand how infuriating it may be for you to have people assume things about your relationship with Prince Finan-"

"You understand?"

Lord Edward grimaces, "Especially, considering how he has treated you with bringing you to our kingdom and such-"

"Wait a damn minute," I growl, my index finger in the air silencing Lord Edward, "People know how he's treated me and they still have the balls to say I'm his favorite? What the hell is this? Kindergarten? Newsflash, when you like someone you don't treat them like trash!"

"Lady, I believe it'd be best if you retire to your bedroom for a few hours to gather yourself," Lord Edward says gently.

It takes a moment for me to reel myself in and not scream at Lord Edward; asking him who he thinks he is saying what he thinks is best for me. It's an entirely different realm of people after all.

An entirely different realm.

I huff and give him a tight lipped smile, "My apologies, Lord Edward. Have a good night."

He bows and I walk past him, aching to get to my bedroom and scream into my pillows. I bunch my dress up in my hands and grumble under my breath as I make my way back to my bedroom. The familiar halls of the feast hall come into view and I see a couple of familiar faces.

"Cathy?" I call out.

Her brown hair cascades in waves down her back and I feel the prickle of jealousy at how ethereal she is when she turns around to look at me. She excuses herself from the group of faeries she's talking with, Faith included, and meets me halfway through the hallway.

"Haley," she frowns slightly, but covers it up, "Are you okay? You look upset."

"I look upset?" I scoff incredulously, "I am upset. Can we go to my bedroom to talk?"

Cathy looks to the group of faeries, "Sure, just let me excuse myself from my friends."

Friends?

"Oh, yeah. Of course," I furrow my brows and nod my head.

Cathy gives me a small smile before walking back to the faeries and saying goodbye. Faith looks over to me and gives me a forced smile before turning away her ocean blue eyes and shimmering face. Almost as if she doesn't like me, which I don't know why she wouldn't. The scales on her cheekbones sparkle and shine as the lights hit them and I freak out slightly when I catch a glimpse of the gills on her neck. How did I not notice that before? Is she a mermaid? The rest of the groups gives me slight looks of annoyance, but continue their chit chat nonetheless.