Chapter 28: Before the War

*not edited*

HALEY

I stare at the ceiling, hands laid out by my sides as I think about every decision that lead me to this moment. I want to go home. That's all I can think about, home. I don't want to be a faerie, I don't want to go to war with a race of ancient creatures that have walked the earth since it's creation.

I'm terrified. I have been for the last eight months.

Maids knock gently on my door and enter with a large tray of assorted foods. I stare as I sit up, my stomach grumbling as I watch them lay the trays at the edge of my bed and place a bed table over my legs.

"You are very kind," I say with a small smile.

The maids give me a gentle smile in return and walk out once all the food is set before me.

I pick at the fruit first, testing my appetite as I get ready to eat. The flavors explode in my mouth and I moan quietly as I taste everything with a newfound gratitude. Being in a coma could do that to a person I guess. I continue eating the food, moving from the fruits onto the cheese and bread. My stomach growls in protest as I eat past fullness and I finally relent, setting down my fork as I lean back against my pillows. I rub my belly and sigh while closing my eyes, enjoying the feeling of satisfaction and peace.

A knock at the door causes my eyes to open and I look over.

"Come in!" I respond.

Finan walks in, his hands behind his back and his face serious.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, my eyebrows pulling together as I look at him puzzled.

"Azrael has made his first move, a portion of his army is at our borders setting up camp," Finan replies, his voice tight, "I need to ask you something."

My heart beats wildly in my chest, I feel my breath catch and my blood run cold.

"We need your blood."

Everything I feared and ran from came crashing down on me. The image of my father standing above me, the feeling of helplessness as I resorted to nearly killing myself to get away. I could feel everything I felt then in this moment and I scrambled off the bed.

"You're going to have to kill me to get what you want Finan," I say through heavy breaths, "I can't give you my power without dying. Your armies are far too great for only a small amount of my blood to get passed around."

Finan visibly recoils, "We have a plan to avoid... killing you."

The words are hard for him to say, his body is rigid, hands clasped tightly in front of him. I stare at him, trying to read his emotions and decipher my own feelings about the question. My teeth tug on my bottom lip as my index finger scratches the inside of my thumb, anxiety slowly trickling away from me.

"What is it?" I finally ask after an awkward period of silence.

"My father believes because we share the same power, his power may amplify yours," Finan sighs, "It may kill him in the process, but he believes this may be the only way."

My jaw goes slack ever so slightly, "I will not trade your fathers life for my own, he has an eternity to live."

Finan gives a sad smile, "My father is nearly a thousand years old, Haley. He's lived a very long life and fought many battles that you cannot begin to imagine. War is no longer something he wants to be apart of if he doesn't have to be."

I walk back over to my bed, bracing my hands on my knees as I sit down.

"What about your mother?" I ask, unable to imagine she'd agree to this so easily.