Chapter 12: Heat

~Play the song when I tell y'all to b/c 😗~

Haley

I follow quietly, but attentively, beside Cassiel as he explains multiple things about what surrounds us. I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to say yes to Cassiel when he asked to take me on the tour of the castle, but I said yes and here I was now. No going back.

No going back.

"Why did you ask to take me on the tour? There were four other absolutely stunning and gorgeous girls in that room, but you asked me. Why?" I ask, stopping as I look at Cassiel's back, searching for any giveaway for how he's feeling, "Finan would kill you if he found out you were here with me right now, I don't know why, but he would. Why would you risk that?"

Cassiel sighs, turning around, "I like you. You're beautiful, brave, smart and not to mention witty."

I feel my cold cheeks warm up at the compliments and I roll my eyes.

"I know you can smell me," I say, "You can't tell me that isn't apart of the reason too."

"I will admit, that is part of the attraction, but your personality is also what makes you so desirable," Cassiel says, "You're very gorgeous, even for a human you were incredibly attractive."

I'm about to correct his use of the past tense, but I stop myself. He was right. I used to be human. Now I'm a faerie. I feel a slight drop in my stomach, my body becoming rigid.

He notices the change in my demeanor and quickly changes the topic, "Listen, Maeve and I are going to a club later on. I'm assuming she told you we function the same way a human society does, correct?"

"Yes, she did," I nod my head.

"You should come, it'll be good for you to experience life as a faerie outside the palace walls," he says, "It isn't always gowns and gossip."

"Won't I need permission from the king and queen?" I ask confused.

"No, you're free to go as you please. You are not a prisoner, Haley. Contrary to popular belief, well, your belief, you are free to do as you like," he replies, "And considering you're going to be with the princess and the general of the king's armies, there's not a reason for anyone to stop you from going."

"What time will I need to be ready by?" 

"Be ready by 9pm. We'll be partying until the sun comes up," Cassiel smirks, "Meet me at the palace entrance."

We tour the rest of the palace comfortably and Cassiel takes me to the group of second courters once his half is over with. I end up choosing the son of the Lord of Autumn to take me on the second half of the tour. He was tall and built well, his black hair being swept to the side and slightly curling around his temple. His personality was gentle, yet strong and I felt a powerful sense of leadership inside of him. Beside Cassiel, I would definitely be allowing Lord Edward to court me.

Once the tour was over, Lord Edward took me back to the queen's study and bid me a goodnight. I informed the queen of my decision to allow both men to court me and she just gave me a beautiful smile. It felt as though she concealed something with that smile. 

When I get back to my bedroom, I search through the closet gifted to me for an outfit to wear out and settle on a little black dress. Faerie customs seem to be much more accepting of nudity, so I use it to my full advantage. I keep my makeup to a minimal, only applying the lightest amount of lipgloss and a bit of mascara. My hair keeps getting in the way so I call for one of the guards to send me someone who could cut my hair.