One Last Time

"the two of you have to break up"   

"It's either your career or him"  

"This will not just your career, but his as well. End it." 

These sentences repeat in Mina's mind over and over again, but whatever they say, She can't do it. She won't do it. She won't let go. 

Mark was worrying over his Girlfriend, she's getting more distant lately, quieter and he doesn't know why. 

It was an afternoon when Mina finally decided to tell him what's bothering her. 

"Mark... We have to break up." His heart skips a beat, almost feeling it drop, then he looked at her funny. 

He laughed, "Nice joke love, cut it out, it's not funny." 

He tried to wrap her in a hug but she refused, instead burying her head in her hands. 

"I'm not joking, we have to Mark." 

Mark was confused and hurt. Did he do something wrong? Is she not happy anymore? What happened? 

"Why? Is there something wrong, please tell me why do we need to." 

"You won't understand Mark." 

"Then make me. " He took her hands and held it tightly. Mina started to cry and Mark held her close not wanting to let go. 

"They're making me choose Mark, you or my career, and they told me if I don't then..." Mina closed her eyes and escaped from his hold 

"Then what?" Mark said almost pleading. 

"Then your career will get affected too, I don't want that, you built your career so hard and I don't want you to ruin it, I don't want you to lose it." 

Mark felt anger rise in him. He took a breath, letting the steam rising in his chest disappear. 

"Mina, you know it's us against them since the start right? How is this different now?" 

Mark was desperate. Losing his career seems easy now, better than losing her. 

"They can do many things, and you know it." 

"I can lose mine, but you'll be able to keep yours, If I don't follow them, they can make up rumors and I'll be brought down. They'll bring you down as well. " Mina added. 

"Nothing is more important than you mina, I'm willing to take a risk." Mark was crying now. 

"You don't know what you're saying Mark, please understand." 

Mark hung his head low. He understood. 

"Do we have to?" Mina nodded. Mark took a step forward closer to her, wanting to feel her close for the last time. 

"Can we still see each other then?" He asked, lacing their fingers together feeling the curves of her hands. 

"I'll find a way around my manager. " 

His hands went from her fingers, caressing her arms until he found his hands found her cheeks and cupping them. Mina leaned in into his touch. Heart beating really fast, tears welling. 

"I love you, Mina" Mark breathed out, his voice shaky but loving. 

Mina smiled even though the tears started spilling from her eyes. 

"I love you too Mark, always." Mark brought their heads together, forehead to forehead, breaths mingling together. 

"Do you have to go now?" 

"Yes, they're waiting." Finally, Mark tears went flowing from his eyes. 

"Oh." 

Mark leaned back, just enough to see her face. 

"One last time before we see each other again." Mark closed the gap giving way to a passionate kiss between the both of them. 

Their lips were locked together for a minute or so, savoring the taste of each other, remembering how the other feels on their hands. 

They ended the kiss when Mina started to pull away. 

"I'll find a way to end this and be together again, okay. Trust me." Mina said. 

Mark smiled, "I trust you." 

And then she left. Mark closed the door, forehead against it, and for the third time that day, his tears started to fall. 

- end -