Chapter 27- Nothing to Say

"So you broke Maya's nose," Skye says, sinking into the plushy break room armchair, unwrapping a chocolate bar as she does so and taking a huge, mushy bite. 

It has been a week or so since the 'incident', of which you'd been confined to your bedroom in disgrace. Shamefully suspended was another way to put it, and an even more truthful way to put it would be to say that you were in big fucking trouble. Seriously. You were genuinely confused as to how you didn't die of boredom, imprisoned in your room for a week, hearing shouts and squeals of laughter ringing outside your locked door, laughter that you had no part in joining in with. Sure, you had your computer and TV to keep you busy, but they both did little to distract you from your mind, the mind that constantly whispered in your ear 24/7. It had been worse when you were banished to a week of solitude, because it meant that there was nothing to distract you from your thoughts. God, you hated your thoughts. All you could think about was Midas, Midas, Midas. Well, a little bit of Skye and TNTina. And the other agents. And, you think to yourself bitterly, perhaps also a teeny little bit of Maya.

Nothing could have prepared you for the guilt that crept up on you each night. You never would have dreamt that you possibly could feel guilty about beating up on Maya's ass but, there you were, each night, losing hours of sleep as you recalled the situation, reminiscing how it felt as your fist ploughed into her nose, feeling the bone break, the warm blood splattering up across your fist. 

Ever since your release, the majority of the agents had been wary of you, going out of their way to cross over to the other side of the corridor, for fear of being attacked. Even the Elite Agents' behaviour wasn't that much different to students and kids on campus; they spoke curtly and firmly with you, not bothering to hide the clear disappointment in their voices. It was clear to you, and a number of other people, that Agent Meowscles and you would never be friends. Not that it mattered, but boy, did he hate you. Whilst Agent Peely was perfectly polite and civil around you, if a little nervous, Agent Meowscles's eyes narrowed whenever he was within earshot of your voice, his fists clenched, and his lips curled. You were pretty certain that he hated Maya just as much as the rest of you did, but, even so, you got the hint that you guys would never be anything more than work acquaintances.

Skye, on the other hand, was proving herself to be a loyal buddy more and more each day. Sure, she'd been a little cool with you the first few days, but, over the week or so, she'd gradually thawed, becoming more and more talkative until she was back to her old self. It was funny but, you almost preferred it when she was angry; she didn't yak on and on back then.

But, strange as it was, the only person you could really trust was TNTina. That was it. Definitely not Skye, and definitely not Midas. Ugh, Midas. You'd forgotten about him, to be honest. Ever since your release from your bedroom, this morning, you had tried to avoid him as much as possible and, honestly? You knew this was the right choice, because, if you looked at him, all you would see was that time you spent together on your bedroom floor, your hands in his. Sure, you hadn't kissed or anything too forward like that, but, there was definitely something there, and the very thought made you blush right now. Luckily Skye doesn't notice; her eyes are greedily fixed on her chocolate bar as she takes another bite. 

You're both alone in the break room-  the only comfortable room in The Agency that didn't lie underground, in the bunker. The cupboards were stocked to the brim with delicious, unhealthy snacks, the armchairs soft, leather, and plushy, a 75-inch plasma TV mounted on the soft, grey walls which painted the room in a calm, relaxing light. Maybe that was the whole point. You'd tried to spend as little time in the break room, for fear of running into Meowscles, or Midas, or worst of all....Maya. You tilt your head back to the sky, internally groaning. Why did all the problems in your life start with M? If you didn't know any better, you would've blamed it on God's sick sense of humour. Not that there was a God- you were a strong atheist for the reason that, if there actually was some higher power up there, then you wouldn't be in this nasty mess right now.