Desperate

The coffee maker beeped and with a sigh Cami slid off the bar stool to make herself a cup. Her days were significantly slower now that she didn't have the coffee shop and her clients. She mixed up her coffee how she liked it and took a scalding sip. There was a knock on the door. Setting down her cup she went to answer it.

Peter stood there in a crisp suit, his briefcase hanging from his hand. He smiled gently at her and she stepped aside to let him through. "Good morning," he said, setting his case down on counter. She grabbed a clean mug and poured him some coffee before sliding it over to him. "So I've heard from the prosecution."

"Good or bad news?"

He shrugged. "A bit of both. They are willing to offer you a deal so we should discuss that before the meeting tomorrow."

She leaned against the edge of the island. Her hands gripped her coffee as she watched him. "What's the deal?"

"No jail time but you will be pleading guilty to a felony crime. You'll have to pay a steep fine. Community service hours. And you'll have to register as a sex offender." Cami felt herself pale.

"No deal." Peter nodded.

"I've got to be honest, I'm not sure how we'll make out at a trial. Sex crimes tend to get...tricky. But I want what's best for you. Not just as a client but as a friend."

She took a sip of her coffee, her eyebrow raised. "So we are friends now?"

"I'd like to think so." An unsettling quiet filled the room. Cami's phone began ringing loudly on the counter. Her called ID said Alex. Feeling guilty she set the phone down and ignored the call. She hadn't spoken to Alex since the day she'd gotten out of jail. He'd met her at Petra's after her confrontation with Clark.

"What the hell is going on Cami?!" He'd said, his voice a mixture of anger and fear. "They said you were sex trafficking? That can't be right. And Petra said something about a newspaper article?"

Cami has reached for his hand and he'd pulled away. Instead he paced the floor in front of the couch, his hands clenching and unclenching. She knew he was scared. The shop had been his stability as well as hers. "There's something I need to tel you," she said trying to make her voice strong.

"Yeah no shit."

"Watch it kid," Petra had snapped at him. She could see the emotions waring on his face. He would never disrespect Petra but he was upset and seeking answers. Cami closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Petra could you run out and get us some wine? We are going to need it."

Petra's eyes shifted to Cami quickly. "I don't think I..."

"Alex and I need to talk P. Please?" Cami knew Alex needed a place to vent his emotions. She also wasn't sure what his reaction would be but she owed him the truth. Reluctantly Petra stood and flared at Alex.

"Just remember what she's done for you and how much she cares about you. You are family," she said pointing her finger at him. With that she'd grabbed her purse and waltzed our the door in her ever present high heels. Alex has watched her leave then turned back to Cami, his arms crossed over his chest.

Cami heaved another sigh. "You kind of know what happened with me and Damien."

"I have my suspicions."

"When I found you I needed you as much as you needed me. He had broken so much of my self esteem, my self worth, my confidence. Being a part of your life, running the shop, it all helped me heal some parts of me that he broke." Alex's face had remained unchanged as he listened. "But there was still something I needed to do. Damien used...physical intimacy..."