Ten

The highest recorded magic capacity is 786.

Enid spent the rest of the day beside Racheal which was a rare occurrence since they moved into Avery's shop.

Racheal quietly went over her task, however her mind sunk deep in guilt.

She could imagine how Enid felt when Avery looked at her like that.

Enid looked utterly crushed but all Racheal could feel was a sick sense of pleasure, because in the end She was the only one Enid had fully accepted and that she was the only one who loved Enid.

Racheal took a deep breath and turned to the child.

"Lass."

Enid looked up to her, her eyes wet with tears.

"I found a small school for adults on the next street. I'm going to try and attend it."

A small smile appeared on Enid's lips.

"I think you'll do great Racheal."

"I don't have any magic but I'm going to attain any skill I can to protect you so you don't have to be scared. You're yourself, you can't change that so you might as well embrace it." Racheal turned back to her work but was tackled by a huge hug.

"Thank you Racheal, you always make me feel better."

Racheal hugged back as she sighted Avery from the corner of her eyes standing beside the door.

"No problem."

They remained like that for a while until Avery cleared her throat.

Enid turned to her holding on to Racheal's skirt. Enid was always meeker around Avery but Racheal had never seen her this scared.

"You frightened me for a second kid, you're a weird one."

Unlike the fear she wore a second ago, Avery now had a different look on her face.

It was excitement and it disturbed Racheal.

"Do you understand Enid? There's no recorded case of anyone having a different magic affinity other than the known 9. You're probably the only one. You're special, no wonder Aaron threw you away, that old man is a stickler for normality."

"Avery." Racheal called in a warning tone.

"What? Isn't it obvious. Himiko comes back empty handed, she looks exactly like her parents and she has some sort of weird, insane magic. Anyone would come to the conclusion that she's their child, or are you trying to hide it from her?"

Racheal held on to Enid's hands, trying to get a grip on her pent up feelings.

"Don't go saying everything you think out loud. If you understand that Enid is different, then you know what kind of position she's in and you know what people would say if they found out."

Avery stared at Racheal with a small grin and a look of actualization on her face.

"I get it, you think she's like you, don't you? Different and hated by the world.
I'm sorry to break it to you Racheal but you two couldn't be any more different. You're at the bottom of the barrel, so mundane that the world doesn't even recognize you.
But Enid's the greatest thing I've ever seen. Both her magic capacity and affinity are on a different scale.
If you've been taking care of her all these time because you feel a sense of comradery then I pity you."

"Stop it!" Enid screamed.

Both women stared at the child in surprise.

Her face was red and she was struggling to keep calm.

"Don't talk to Racheal like that ever again. If you keep talking to her like that, then I don't want to learn anything from you anymore!"

She burst into tears.

Racheal bent down trying to pacify her.

"Avery, you seem to have the wrong notion of me.
I have never painted myself as a righteous person and I am very aware of my faults, so please stop yelling them at the top of your lungs, it'll upset Enid." Racheal said as she wiped the child's face.

"There's a school on the next street.
I'll be taking classes there as well as helping out so I won't get in the way when you and Enid are studying but please don't say things about her parents and how different she is, she's a child but she's far sharper than you think and is always somewhat aware of these things.
Don't make her feel worse."

Avery stared at both of them for a while.

At Racheal because she was surprised that she stood up to her and at Enid because of the amount of trust she had in Racheal.

For the past two weeks, Enid had remained silent and looked away anytime Avery taunted Racheal  so she had begun to think that the child did not care much for Racheal.

"I understand."

She simply replied and looked down at Enid.

"Whole I do not know anything about your magic, I believe normal training techniques will still work well for you.
If you would still like, I would like to teach you...magic and all."

Enid's eyes lit up. She looked at Racheal for approval.

"It's fine, that's why we're here isn't it?"

The child turned back to Avery and gave her a deep nod.