Twenty six

The mundane gene when dominant in a person prevents that person from being magical.

This gene is hereditary but is recessive in a few people.

Two partners with the recessive mundane gene can give birth to a child without magic(dominant mundane gene).

Bases on these facts, it is safe to say that there was a time when some, if not most people had no magic, but the mundane gene became more recessive as people began to favour magic and mate with magical humans more.

Even though it had gotten far too dark to see,Gramps was still crouched in front of the flower bed.
He, however was no longer gardening. He was lost in his memories of long ago when he had his first glimpse of Rachael's golden brown eyes.
Back then, they weren't so bright and her name wasn't Rachael.

Gramps was just returning from a long and tedious journey and he wanted nothing more than a drink and sleep.

The boarders of great kingdoms were always littered with filth and beggars and because of Manderin's custom of giving alms to beggars when traveling, their borders were even worse.

Tens of hands stretched towards him begging for food but none came close because of the violently apathetic look on his face.

Just as he was about to cross the large wooden gates leading to the kingdom, a small figure sprinted to him and held his cloak.
Gramps looked down surprised by the audacity of the figure; caked in dirt and grime, he couldn't tell if it was a girl or a boy.

The only thing he could make out were wide brown eyes staring at him in desperation.

"Food!" The figure squeaked.
It was a girl.

"I don't have any," Gramps replied, trying to push her away. The girl's grip tightened like a vice.

"Please...food...dog hungry," she pleaded, looking down at her other hand.

It was then Gramps noticed that she was holding something wrapped in worn, brown cloth.
It was a small dog.
It panted weakly and patches of it's hair had already fallen off.
Gramps knew it was too late for the dog.

"Throw that thing away, it's half dead already."

The girl looked at him in horror and pushed him away.
She turned to look at the dog, her eyes glazed with tears.

Gramps stared at the child, dumbfounded.
She looked barely 6 and was not better off. Her dress was in pieces and fell off one of her shoulders, revealing literal skin on bones. Yet the child seemed to only care for the dog.

"What's your name?"

The child turned to him looking confused for about a second before shaking her head.

"If you come with me, I'll give you food."

...

The child followed Gramps into the kingdom, albeit at a distance.
She looked nervously as people passed her with their noses scrunched up in disgust.