Fourteen

Magic doesn't just exist in humans.

It had been about four days since Hyde and Mrs Ingram had gone to the castle and Rachael spent the days locked up in the back room.

She found the imposing silence strangely comforting.

On the afternoon of the fourth day, she was woken from a short doze by the loud clanging the front door made when it was being opened.

Rachael quickly got up and jogged down to see Mrs Ingram locking the door behind her.

"Mrs Ingram, welcome back. How was your trip?" Rachael asked taking her bag from her.

"It was pleasant enough, thank you dear."

"That's good, did Hyde stop by somewhere?"

Mrs Ingram heaved a sigh and patted Rachael on the back.

"No dear, Hyde will no longer be staying with us...he's accepted the position as a captain in the IMD."

Rachael took.a deep breath knowing it was for the best but not being able to shake the heavy feeling of disappointment.

"I guess he finally succumbed to the pressure, I hope he takes his job seriously. "

"I know it's hard on you dear. For what it's worth, he was not keen on leaving you either."

Rachael let out a small laugh.

"I highly doubt that Mrs Ingram but enough of that, you should rest."

Mrs Ingram held onto Rachael's shoulders like she wasn't done.

"The matriarch of the castle wanted a female magic instructor for their child and I recommended you. She was a bit skeptical because you had no magic but she was willing to give you a shot."

Rachael almost choked on her own saliva.

They were Enids presumed family, she really did not want to be anywhere near them.
However, the perks were hard to ignore; she would be close to the famous Institute of magical defense, she would get to see Hyde and even Micah again, she would be able to make actual money for herself

But all that would mean having to leave Enid behind and she couldn't even fathom that.

"I'm sorry Mrs Ingram but...

"Just think about it for a while longer, I honestly think this is the chance you need to prove that you don't need magic to be incredible...you've convinced me."

Mrs Ingram ruffled her hair and walked up to her office, leaving Rachael to her thoughts.

...

Rachael spent the next few days in her room, glancing at books but not really paying attention.
She would occasionally stare at the window with a far away gaze.

"You're obviously not okay Rachael, what's up?" Enid asked as she jumped on the bed after training, one evening.

"How did today go?"

"Fine but you avoided my question."

Rachael heaved a sigh and turned to face Enid.

"Have I ever told you how much of a know it all you are?"

"At least once a day, now spit it out."

"I was sorta given a job as Magic instructor for the heiress of the castle in the North."

Rachael was surprised that Enid looked more intrigued than surprised.

"That's great! So what's the issue?"

"The issue is that I can't take the job because I can't take you with me!"

"So, don't take me with you. "
Rachael turned to Enid in alarm.

"You don't really mean that, do you?

"Of course I do, I wouldn't say it if I wasn't."

Enid laid on her back and crossed her legs.
She couldn't see Rachael's frustrated glare as she struggled to speak without letting off any violent emotions.

"I see."

"Rachael, you're super smart now but you're still the same. You subconsciously believe that your life is not worth living if you're not taking care of me in some way. That's stupid, your life is yours so your interest should come first."

Enid believed every word she said, but it was still hard to say them.
She did not want Rachael to leave  but if she didn't, she would be stuck taking care of her forever, and she wanted that even less.

"What if I don't want to go?" Rachael asked quietly.

"Then you wouldn't be thinking about it so much, now would you?"

When Rachael did not reply, Enid rolled towards her and hugged her.

"You're too kind Rachael, even when you were struggling to survive, you took me in as your own and you have given me everything since then to take care of me. Nothing I do I say or do will ever be enough to pay you back. Thank you so much."

"Shut up! Why do you sound like we're saying goodbye. I have even made my decision yet."

Enid giggled.

"Don't worry, in a few years I'll be old enough to apply to the institute of Magical defence and then we'll be reunited again."

"I said I haven't made my decision. And you're still on about trying to get into the IMD?"

"Yup! You probably won't even recognize me then."

"Like I could mistake that infuriatingly smug grin."

...

Avery sat in front of the shop writing down Enid's progress.
Rachael sat beside her moon gazing.

"Has Enid told you about her ridiculous IMD aspirations?" Rachael asked.

"Yup, but I don't think it's ridiculous. Not everyone would take her magic badly like her parents did."

"You took it badly the first time you saw it."

Avery laughed.

"I was just surprised. I was actually more thrilled than anything."

"Yeah."

The sound of chirping crickets filled the entire space. It was overwhelming.

"I'm leaving soon. I got a job to be a magic instructor for the heiress in the castle in the North..well I haven't gotten the job yet but oh well."

"Enid's sister?" Avery asked

"That's not confirmed."

"Don't kid yourself Rachael...have you told Enid?"

"Yeah; she was the one who convinced me. I'll send you money monthly for her upkeep."

Avery snorted.

"Keep your money, when they write a book about her, my name will be immortalized as her teacher."

"You insufferable princess."

"Thank you. "

Silence dawned again.

"She'll be able to get a seat in the IMD in 5 years. You both can have your tearful reunion then. But until that time comes, you can leave her to me."

Rachael turned to Avery. Even after 7 years,they didn't become friends.
However, their relationship had become mutually respectable.

"Thank you Avery."

"I'm not doing it for her. Without Enid, all I'd have are my parents nagging and marriage requests."

Rachael did not know how to respond to that so she just smiled and looked back up, at the moon.