↳ CHAPTER FIFTEEN

          WITHOUT A WINK of sleep but a much more educated on view on different sexualities, Kai was ready for another day of Lucifer and Pierce in the suburbs and Chloe by his side. Had you told him a few months ago that was where he'd find himself, he would have undoubtedly laughed at the idea — but it was real and somehow, he wasn't scared to accept it with open arms. He wasn't the type to fear change, but rather welcome the new adventures, and that was what this unexpected stage in his life felt like, too.

          The Nolan was huddled up with Chloe in Pierce and Lucifer's undercover bedroom, the door locked to avoid anyone barging in while the newly-weds threw a barbecue party downstairs. They were hoping to smoke out the murderer while maintaining their picture-perfect cover of a happily married gay couple, and that was so much better than any movie Kai could recall seeing. The only thing missing from his and Chloe's secret stakeout was popcorn, leaving him picking on his nails while watching the laptop screen displaying the whole soap opera for them.

        "This is beyond my expectations", Kai chuckled to himself, a pleased smile on his lips as he glanced at Chloe, the woman fighting a grin of her own. "Might just have to start partnering up with you every week", he hummed thoughtfully, only for the Decker to turn to him with a displeased stare.

        "Thanks for the offer, but there's only so much of you I can take. You're better kept as a secret weapon. A last resort, of sorts", Chloe contemplated with a shrug, her casual mannerisms distorting Kai's soft features into a scowl. When she faced him again and found the disbelief written all over him, though, she was chuckling and lifting her hands in defense. "Just saying. You do the trick but the downsides outweigh the upsides for a long-term partnership."

        Snorting, Kai leaned back in his chair, his attention effectively torn from the laptop where Lucifer was ranting about hummus. "Just what every guy wants to hear, Decker", he noted tauntingly before giving her the go-ahead, "but I'll bite. What kind of downsides are we talking about here?" Truthfully, he knew that he hadn't exactly treated Chloe like a worthy opponent in the past, but his curiosity was impossible to tame.

        "You have no concept of organization skills or time management. You follow every instinct almost impulsively. You never listen and as a result, you never know what you were instructed to do. You're also painfully arrogant and proud", she listed without difficulty, and against all odds, Kai was the furthest thing from offended. In fact, the knowing smirk that curled up his lip was amused — it was obvious that Chloe had never been clued in about his difficulties, and he was going to enjoy notifying her.

        Nodding in pretentious agreement, Kai sighed in feigned defeat. "Yeah, yeah, you've got a point there. To be fair, I'd put most of those on the whole dyslexic thing", he pondered coolly, never been so happy to pull that specific card. The satisfaction expanded doubly in size when Chloe's head snapped to his direction with her eyes widening and her face losing its color, confirming that she hadn't known.