Part 36: Sleeping Auradon

Everyone was asleep. People were either lying on the ground or slouched in their chairs. Everything was so quiet and creepy. It was like something was going to jump out of nowhere and scare the crap out of us.

“They’re asleep,” Evie said, pointing out the obvious and making me jump.

“I can’t get Ben,” Mal said, putting her phone down.

“Or Dizzy or Doug,” Evie said, putting her phone down too.

“Or Jane,” Carlos said, looking at his phone. “The signal’s out.”

“Is that Auradon Prep?” Celia asked.

“Yeah,” Harry smiled. “When everyone wakes up, you’re going to love it.”

“Geez,” Celia said.

“Everything is so…,” Gil started.

“Freaky,” I said.

“... green,” Gil finished. “You have leaves on your trees. And what are those colored things on the bushes?”

“Uh… Flowers?” Jay asked.

“Flowers are pretty,” Gil said before getting distracted by the fruit on the table. “Cantaloupe!”

“We don’t have fresh fruit on the Isle, remember,” I said.

“Thank you,” Gil said to the sleeping person whose food he ate before looking at the bottom of the bowl.

“They’re grapes,” Jay said.

“Grapes?” Gil asked. “I love grapes.”

Suddenly, Sophia caught my eye because she was grabbing someone’s wallet.

“I believe I deserve some compensation for my beauty, my wile, and my role in this endeavor,” Sophia said, taking some money out of the wallet.

“You do,” I said, grabbing the wallet and money out of Sophia’s hands. “Me not squashing you like a bug.”

“Think I'm scared of you, mutt?” Sophia asked, getting into my face.

“Guys,” Uma and Mal said in unison, getting both my and Sophia’s attention.

“Dude!” I suddenly heard Carlos say.

I looked away from Sophia and towards Carlos who was yelling at a dog.

“Delicious,” Dude said, licking food out of someone’s hands.

“Dude, really?” Carlos asked, not sounding impressed at all.

“What? It wasn’t me, I swear,” Dude said. “Okay, it was me.”

“Wait, he talks?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s a long story,” Carlos said. “Dude, do you know what happened here?”

“Yup. Audrey showed up. She put everybody to sleep,” Dude said. “And then she turned some of them to…”

“Guys,” Evie said, standing next to a statue. “Hannah turned to stone.”

“Alright, everybody stay on their toes,” Jay said.

“Look,” Uma said. “Since we’re here, let’s check the school.”

“No,” Mal said. “Audrey went straight for the crown, so I think it’s safe to assume that she’s gonna go for Ben and his castle next. That’s where we’ll go.”

“Says who?” Uma asked.

“Says me,” Mal said.

“Says you,” Uma said, crossing her arms. “And that’s supposed to mean something to me?”

“Guys!” Evie said.

“To the castle,” Mal said, leading the way to the castle as everyone else followed behind.

“I wish they’d stop fighting,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“But they’re our friends,” Harry said, walking over to me and holding my hand.

“I know, but the fighting is too much,” I said.

“That’s what you and Uma did,” Harry pointed out.

“Yeah yeah yeah,” I said. “Now, let’s catch up and get to the castle, okay?”

Harry smiled and kissed my head. “Yeah, let’s go."