5. LET'S FIND OUT WHAT THE GHOST WANTS

| CHAPTER FIVE |

LET'S FIND OUT WHAT THE GHOST WANTS.

VERONICA WATCHED AS NATASHA PACED back and forth, popping some bubble gum. The two Romanoffs were still at the hospital, waiting for Steve to come back (since they wanted him back at SHIELD for questioning).

"What's on your mind?" Veronica questioned, crossing her arms over her chest as she watched her sister.

Natasha stopped pacing, she let her hand fall into her pocket before taking it back out, the younger woman spotted a flash drive between Nat's fingers, she twirled it around before shoving it back into her pocket as a doctor walked past them, "I need to find more out about this," She stated.

Luckily for the older redhead, Steve was finally back at the hospital. He wore a hood that covered his face as he stormed over to the two women. Veronica jumped to her feet when Natasha suddenly got shoved up into a small storage room, rushing in after the pair whilst making sure no one spotted them.

"Where is it?" Steve questioned, clearly angry.

"Safe," Natasha replied, she held an emotionless expression.

The answer clearly wasn't what Steve wanted to hear, "Do better!" He snapped.

Veronica shared a strange glance with her sister. Neither of them had ever seen Steve react in such a way, meaning that that flash drive was extremely important to him, but why?

"Where did you get it?" Natasha asked, refusing to answer Steve's question as she kept her eyes locked on his.

"Why would I tell you?"

"Maybe 'cause we're a team," Veronica mumbled, folding her arms over her chest as she watched the two bicker like children.

"Fury gave it to you," Nat stated, "Why?"

"What's on it?" The super-solider questioned.

"I don't know."

"Stop lying!"

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers," Natasha told him.

Steve scoffed, "I bet you knew Fury hired those pirates, didn't you?" He asked before he glanced over his shoulder at the younger woman, "I bet you did too."

Veronica threw her arms up with a confused look on her face. Truthfully, no, she didn't know that Fury hired them, and by the look on Natasha's face neither did she. It definitely made sense, but she didn't know, "It makes sense, Steve, but no I didn't know," The younger redhead scoffed.

Natasha nodded in agreement, "The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

"I'm not going to ask you again."

"I know who killed Fury," Nat confessed. Her words caught Steve's attention as she shared a look over the super-soldier's shoulder with her sister, "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones that do call him the Winter Soldier."

"He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years," Veronica added, her green eyes watched as Steve moved away from Nat ever so slightly, his eyes going back and forth between the sisters, "So he's a ghost story," The super-solider stated.

Veronica shook her head, letting her eyes fall upon her sister. Natasha sighed, "Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, someone shot out my tires near Odessa," She explained, "We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot right through me," Nat pulled up her shirt slightly, exposing the long scar on the side of her stomach, "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now."

Veronica smirked when the tiniest smile appeared on Nat's face, "Going after him is a dead end," The younger redhead stated, catching Steve's attention once again, "We know, we've tried. Like you said, he's a ghost story."

Steve grabbed the flash drive from Nat's fingertips, his blue eyes looked between the sisters before sighing, "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants."