9. I NEVER SAID PILOT

| CHAPTER NINE |

I NEVER SAID PILOT.

"SO, THE QUESTION IS: WHO in SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?" Natasha stated, her eyes were looking at the wall in Sam's kitchen with a distant look; Veronica could tell the woman was clearly deep in thought.

"Pierce," Steve stated.

Natasha glanced over at the super-soldier, "Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world," She said as she began pacing. 

"But he's not working alone," Steve added, "Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star."

"So was Jasper Sitwell."

Both Veronica and Steve glanced over at Nat with a surprised look on their faces.

"So, the real question is: how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve asked, looking between the two women.

"The answer is, you don't," Sam suddenly announced, he walked over to the trio and dropped a file in front of Steve, one with a photograph right on top.

"What's that?" Veronica questioned, sitting up straighter to peek at the file and photo that Steve looked at with a puzzled expression on his face.

Sam shrugged, "Call it a resume."

Natasha walked over, picking up a photograph whilst Steve and Veronica both looked between Sam and the file, their eyes wide with surprise. The redhead suddenly noticed the front of it, 'EXo-7 Falcon'.

"Is this Bakhmala?" The older redhead asked, "The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you?" She asked before glanced at Steve and her sister, "You didn't say he was a para-rescue."

Veronica looked shocked at Sam, however, she couldn't get rid of the impressed smile that was etched upon her face. Sam's dark brown eyes glanced over at the redhead, his chest puffing out proudly when he noticed the look on her face, his smile getting wider as he watched her own one widening.

"Is this Riley?" Steve questioned causing Sam and Veronica to finally look away from one another.

Sam nodded, a sad look flashed over his face, "Yeah."

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs," Natasha stated, "What did you use, a stealth chute?"

"No," Sam shook his head. He took a step forwards, the side of his arm brushing over Veronica's arm. He picked up the file and placed it into Steve's hand, "These," He said.

Much to Veronica's surprise, Sam didn't move back to his original spot, instead he stayed right besides her side, his arm still pressed up against hers. The younger redhead tried everything she could to not let her attention waver, but it was extremely difficult and by the look on Nat's face, the older woman clearly noticed the arm touching.

"I thought you said you were a pilot," Steve stated, looking up from the file with an amused grin.

"I never said pilot," Sam told him, a grin appearing on his face.

Veronica was slightly puzzled so she took the file out of Steve's hands. Her piercingly green eyes widened in shock as she stared at the sketches of mechanical wings. 

"I can't ask you do this, Sam," Steve said, shaking his head, the smile disappearing,  "You got out for a good reason."

"Dude, Captain America needs my help," Sam stated, "There's no better reason to get back in."

Veronica felt herself chuckle softly, which caused Sam's eyes to glance down at her, his smile widening.

"Where can you get your hands on one of these?" The younger redhead suddenly asked, nodding at the file before letting her eyes fall upon Sam, lingering there for far too long.

"The last one is at Fort Meade," Sam explained, "Behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall."

Veronica, Steve and Natasha all shared a look, one that showed they were clearly very on board with everything.

Veronica smirked as she looked at Sam, she threw the closed file back onto the table, "That shouldn't be a problem."