7. CUT OFF ONE HEAD, TWO MORE SHALL TAKE ITS PLACE

| CHAPTER SEVEN |

CUT OFF ONE HEAD, TWO MORE SHALL TAKE ITS PLACE.

VERONICA WATCHED FROM THE BACKSEAT as they pulled up in front of an abandoned military base. Her green eyes watched it with curiosity.

"This is it?" The younger redhead asked, glancing over to the front seats.

Natasha nodded, "The file came from these coordinates."

"So did I," Steve breathed out, his eyes purely focused on the base, "This camp is where I was trained."

No one said anything, instead Natasha finally reached for her door, exiting the vehicle. The Russian woman was soon followed by Steve and her sister. Whilst Nat and Veronica explored the base with their eyes, Steve watched it was a saddened expression and a reminiscing gleam in his blue eyes.

"Changed much?" Natasha questioned, looking over at Steve as the trio walked further into the base.

"A little," Steve stated. He suddenly stopped walking, his eyes staring off into the distance.

"This is a dead end," Nat suddenly told them, "Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even a radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

Veronica frowned, if the code was just made to throw people into a wild goose chase then all of this had just been a massive waste of time. Time they could've spend doing something much more productive. Her green eyes suddenly spotted movement from her peripheral vision, she looked confused as Steve walked towards a small building, "What is it?" She asked, letting her legs take her over to the super-soldier's side.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks," Steve explained, "This building is in the wrong place," He concluded before using his shield to bust the lock open. 

Veronica and Natasha shared hopeful looks as they followed Steve inside. As soon as the lights turned on, the place looked like a normal - but small - office.

"This is SHIELD," Natasha pointed out.

"Maybe where it started," The super-soldier suggested as they entered a room, where three photographs were hung up on the walls. 

Veronica instantly recognised two of the people, she frowned as she watched Steve's eyes flash with sadness and adoration before he looked away from the photograph of the woman quicker than Veronica had expected him to, the super-soldier then refused to make eye contact with either of the agents with him.

"There's Stark's father," Natasha pointed out.

"Howard," Steve informed.

"Who's the girl?"