10. READY TO TALK?

| CHAPTER TEN |

READY TO TALK?

STEVE AGGRESSIVELY PUSHED JASPER SITWELL onto the roof. Both Romanoffs were hot on his heels, glaring daggers at the man as he refused to tell them anything.

"Tell us about Zola's algorithm," Steve ordered yet again.

"Never heard of it," Sitwell stated, his eyes glancing nervously around the empty rooftop. 

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" Steve questioned as the trio took steps forwards, causing Sitwell to walk backwards.

"I was throwing up," Sitwell replied, "I got seasick."

They had cornered the man at the edge of the roof and Veronica quickly noticed how the look of worry suddenly became the look of amusement.

"Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof?" The man asked, his voice laced with amusement as his eyes stayed on Steve, "Because it's not really your style, Rogers."

Steve took a quick glance over his shoulder at Veronica, before looking back at Sitwell and nodding, "You're right, it's not. It's hers."

Before Sitwell could ask what the super-solider meant by that, he had moved out of the way and was replaced by Veronica. The younger redhead lifted her leg up, kicking Sitwell straight in the chest, not too hard but hard enough for him to lose balance and start plummeting down, screaming bloody murder.

"Oh, wait," Natasha suddenly spoke up, looking over at Steve, "What about that girl from accounting, Laura...?"

Veronica turned around to face her sister and Steve, her arms folding over her chest as she watched them with amusement. For the last few weeks, Nat had been trying to get Steve to get into the dating game, since he was well over a hundred with no romance interest in his life.

"Lillian. Lip piercing, right?"

Nat nodded, "Yeah, she's cute."

Steve smiled sheepishly, "Yeah, I'm not ready for that."

Suddenly, Sam Wilson - wearing his Falcon jet-pack suit with large, metallic wings - flew up over the roof. Veronica spotted Sitwell held roughly by his jacket; looking like he was ready to cry before Sam threw the man down onto the roof, landing down himself straight after.

Steve, Natasha and Veronica all walked over to them, looking amused at the fact that Sitwell threw his hands up in fear when they got closer.

"You finally ready to talk?" Veronica questioned, tilting her head to the side as Sam casually strolled over to her side, pressing a button to retract the wings, "Or do you need to go down again?"

"Zola's algorithm is a program..." Sitwell finally said in a rushed voice, his nervous stare refusing to look at the younger redhead woman, "...for choosing Insight's targets!"

The group of four shared a puzzled look.

"What targets?" The super-solider interrogated.

"You!" Sitwell yelled, pointing to Steve, "Her!" He yelled again, pointing to Veronica, "A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defence, a high school valedictorian in Iowa city. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA! Now, or in the future."

"The future?" Steve looked puzzled, "How could it know?"

Sitwell smiled his creepy smile, one that Veronica wanted to just wipe from his face, "How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it. Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores! Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

"And what then?" Veronica inquired.

Sitwell suddenly became hysterical, "Oh my God. Pierce is going to kill me!" He shrieked.

"He won't be able to if I do it first," Veronica threatened, she was about to storm over when Sam's hand suddenly grabbed her arm, keeping her close by.

"What then?!" Steve yelled, his voice louder than Sitwell's, his eyes glaring dangerously at the man.

Sitwell looked back over at them, his eyes inspecting each person, "Then the Insight Helicarriers scratch people off the list," He suddenly announced, "A few million at a time."