Chapter 24: Famous Last Words

Alex woke up to the sound of a heartbeat. She felt..

Warm again.

She gasped as she got up on the floor, trembling as she realized she could feel its cold temperature, as when she was a dead girl walking she couldn't feel cold that well. She looked at her hands and unwrapped the bandages on her wrists, hyperventilating as she had no cuts or ash.

She felt her face and her neck, only to find no ash, not even her proxy symbol that was usually exposed amongst the bandages. She stood up and pinned Xiomar to the wall again by the neck, it being much harder now since her newly returned body was still a bit frail and slightly cold. She realized by now that the heartbeat she heard was none other than her own.

"What. Did. You. DO?!" Alex yelled, less intimidating now that she doesn't look as terrifying and her voice not multiplying.

Her mid-length, dyed crimson hair swayed along her movements, and actual eyeballs filled her sockets. The bandage that was on her leg had fallen to the ground when she pinned Xiomar, landing silently and gracefully on the floor, despite being stained with blood. The prosthetic was gone.

"Simple. I managed to reform a new body for you to live in from memory. Forgive me if there's anything wrong or different.

Alex laughed in anger, shaking her head then clenching her teeth and tightening her grip around Xiomar's neck. He wheezed but otherwise didn't move. "I didn't ask for this. I never wanted to come back to life."

"Trust me, it wasn't a favor."

Alex's eyebrows furrowed, a bead of sweat rolling down her forehead.

Xiomar laughed airily, like he had been coughing a lot recently. "Tell me, why did you not want to come back to life?" Her eyes widened, scared of what the answer is.

"Come on, spill!" He grinned and tilted his head, the demon within him taking control. "I'm curious, don't leave me hanging, would you?"

The bleak void in his eyes let out an almost audible thunder-like crack as it crawled up his pupils more.

Then Alex got it.

That dreadful feeling the Operator had been talking about.

That sick feeling that a demon might be standing before you.

Great, isn't it?

A heavy, bitten, bloody fist was brought to Xiomar's face.

His jaw had been dislocated, but he simply pushed it back in place when he turned his head to face the ex-ghost. The part where her blood came in contact with his skin was audibly sizzling and crackling; but the burn simply healed itself.

ALEX FOX stepped back, wincing in the pain the wound she had just given herself was bringing. She expected that outcome, but wanted to try anyway. Her only true weakness was pain.

So if she were a human, not only could she die again, but she could also feel pain.

She also couldn't float and teleport, but the worst disadvantage was the ability to feel pain.

Oh holy shit, Toby is starting to look really goddamn lucky at the moment.

Speaking of which, seeing what happened to her 'classmates'..

To Shoto, her first human friend..

To Charlotte..

She's going to die today.