Everly: CH16: Betrayed Part 2

Focusing on my surroundings seems to be the only way to calm the storm raging inside my mind, silencing the many questions and forming accusations. Thankfully there's a lot to take in.

"That's who you have to thank for adjusting your dress," Kal nudges my shoulder gently.

With the stage set, Willis is front and center his voice traveling far and wide while slender fingers move flawlessly over the harp as if it and him are one and the same. With his talent and voice, he could easily resign from The Guardianship, move to the world capital and gain enough riches to last many lifetimes.

His radiance is burning like the sun. Wearing a golden gown fitted tightly around the bodice with a halterneck style, it attaches to a thick choker decorated with pulsing emeralds. Short at the front, the long train in the back is being held in the air behind him by large butterflies, their wings all varying hues of green each wing the size of a large man's hand.

There are so many people enjoying the music. Sitting under the various leaning trees, on the soft luscious grass, and on the strong sturdy shifting branches, dancing on the dance floor attached to the stage, sitting at the large tables used during community events and children playing at the park, some playing with the various pets in attendance.

Moving into the chorus, many join in:

"This home we share,

A heavy burden to bear,

On the front lines together,

This trauma we share,

Fighting against the Zankou,

Against the despair,

Weakest divided,

Only together we will fare,

Facing the fear,

Rising above it,

Given another chance by the deities'

One we will not squander."

I can't imagine there isn't a single person here that doesn't know the national anthem off by heart. As a child we had to sing it every morning during class before our focus shifted to our workbooks.

"Everly?"

After searching through the many faces, I feel the uneasiness grow like over a dozen miniature butterflies have just been released in my stomach and they're frenzied. Mehrin and Khloe are standing just a few feet away. They're in my top five list of people I didn't want to see today.

"No fucking way!" Mehrin exclaims.

Both wearing a two-piece ensemble, together their platinum belts read 'Wesley's Saints' as if being owned by that monster is something to be proud of. With plunging V-necks and long skirts with deep slits it's clear this is his way of flaunting his possessions. Of inciting jealousy and loathing in others. Gold body paint and tiny jewels decorate their skin, they look flawless, the definition of perfect. It's kind of amazing considering I've seen them at their worst.

"It's good to see you again, you look good," Khloe's small smile seems sincere most likely out of pity.

Mehrin scoffs, "You don't have to pretend anymore Khloe. She's not one of us. Never was."

I envy the people that can easily deflect words of hurt, that can ignore them and the pain they're intended to cause. I've got to be strong. I can't let the sparks inside ignite the rage. Bastian isn't here, and I can't rely on him forever.

Kahli entwines her fingers through mine, clasping my hand reassuringly, "Just ignore her baby, some people can only feel better about themselves by making others feel bad."