Chapter 3: Initiation Pt. 1

Ruby's POV:

I look over at Lapis, noticing how he was with his friend from yesterday. He looked happy and surprised. I'm glad that he's happy. I start smiling.

Yang: So, you seem awfully chipper this morning!

"Yep! No more awkward small talk or "getting-to-know-you" stuff. Today, I get to let my sweetheart do the talking."

Yang: You talking about Lapis over there?

As soon as she says this, I can't help but feel embarassed.

"Y-you know what I mean! Anyway, I'm just happy I can finally fight instead of talk."

Yang: Mhmm, and you sure it has nothing to do with Lapis?

"Well, I guess I'm just happy that he's in a good mood."

Yang: Why don't you go talk to him?

"I-I wouldn't know what to say to him!"

As soon as I say that, Lapis walks over.

Lapis: Hey Ruby!

"Oh, hey Lapis."

Lapis: Oh, sorry. You must be Yang.

Yang: Yep! And you're Lapis. (extends her hand)

Lapis: Nice to meet you. (shakes her hand) So Ruby, I came over to wish you and your sister luck.

"Thanks."

Lapis: Who knows! We may even be on the same team!

Yang: That would be something, huh sis?

I was lost in thought until Yang said that.

"Yeah, it would."

Ranger: (walks up) Hey Lapis, you almost ready? Hey, you've met Yang.

Lapis: Yep.

Yang: How's it going, Carnel?

Ranger: Same as usual, Xiao Long.

Lapis: And this, is Ruby Rose. (He then gestures to me) Though you knew that.

Ruby: Hi.

Ranger: How's it going Ruby? Y'know, Lapis here's been telling me of his little exploits from yesterday. Saying how great it feels to be the hero.

Lapis: Shutupshutupshutupshutup!

As Lapis said that I could see his face glow bright red.

Ranger: Hahaha, I'm just messing with ya. He did tell me how he stood up to Weiss and Vermillion. I'm impressed he had the guts to stand up to both of them. He's not normally like this.

I'm suddenly wishing he didn't mention yesterday.

Lapis: Y-yeah...Well, we better get going. Don't want to be late for initiation. See ya Yang, Ruby!

Ranger: Later girls!

And like that, the two of them walked back towards their lockers and finished readying themselves.

Yang: So, was I right, or what?

(blushing) "S-shut up!"

Lapis's POV

"Dude, what the hell was that about?!"

Ranger: Hey, I'm just trying to help you impress her.

"I'm not trying to impress anyone! Besides, I barely even know her."

Ranger: Well suit yourself, lover boy.

"Shut up!"

Glynda (voice only): Would all first-year students please report to Beacon Cliff for initiation? Again, all first-year students report to Beacon Cliff immediately.

"That's our cue, let's go!"

We made our way to the cliff, where we were standing on silver tiles, with a blonde woman and silver haired man standing in front of us.

Ozpin: For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest.

Glynda: Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of "teams." Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates...today.

Ruby: What? Ohhh...

Ozpin: These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well.

"Hmm..."

Ozpin: That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years.

Ruby: Whaaaat?!

Ranger: You thinking what I'm thinking?

"Oh yeah."

Ozpin: After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die.

I could hear Jaune laugh nervously then loudly gulps when Ozpin said this.

Ozpin: You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?

Jaune: (raising his hand) Yeah, um, sir?

Ozpin: Good! Now, take your positions.

As he said this, all of us took position on our tiles

"Hey, Ranger! I'll meet you at the bottom!"

He glances back at me, then nods.

Jaune: Uh, sir? I've got, um... a question. (he misses the tile under Weiss rising up into a springboard, rocketing into the air and over the forest, as the platforms activate down the line) So, this landing... strategy thing... Uh, wha-what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?

Ozpin: No. You will be falling.

Jaune: (missing more students being thrown) Oh, uh, I see... So, like, did you hand out parachutes for us?

Ozpin: No. You will be using your own "landing strategy."

Jaune: (still not seeing an excited Nora and Ren getting launched) Uh-huh... Yeah.

We all were launched then after. After falling for some time, I finally landed by using my sword to halt my descent using a nearby tree. I look around to see if I could find Ruby, only to then bump into a girl shorter than me with bright red hair.

"Hey!"

Blonde haired girl: Hm?

"Who are you?"

Blonde haired girl: Dia May. You?

"Lapis Lazuli."

Dia: Ozpin said the first person we saw when we landed would be our partners.

Lapis: He did, so we're partners then?

Dia: Exactly. Didn't Ozpin say something about relics we need to find?

"Yeah. We should head deeper in. Chances are we'll run into potential teammates."

Dia: Yeah.

We then rushed off to find our next teammates.

"So, what's your Semblance like?"

Dia: Why do you ask?

"Well, I figured that if we're gonna be partners, we should get to know each other."

Dia: Oh, Desperato. I get one extra minute of stamina in battle when I run out of it. Only one minute, though. Yours?

"Blazing Drive. I can increase my speed in exchange for Aura."

Dia: Gotcha.