Chapter 7: To Go Further Beyond Pt. 1

Ruby's POV:

After the day I've had, I couldn't fall back asleep. As I tried to fall asleep, I heard the sounds of swords clashing. I looked out the window and saw a blue flame moving back and forth, dodging purple sword slashes. I remembered that Lapis said that blue flames were a part of his Semblance, his Aura manifesting.

Yang: (groan) What's the matter, sis?

"Oh. Nothing. I just heard something from outside."

Yang: Let me see!

We peeked out the window, and I still saw the blue and purple colors.

Yang: Um, what am I looking at?

"Remember what Ranger said about Lapis's Semblance? That's him training down there."

Yang: How about we go down and check it out?

"Yang, maybe tomorrow?"

Yang: C'mon!

Weiss: Do you mind?! Some of us are trying to sleep!

Blake: She's not wrong. You two are pretty loud.

"Sorry. I'm going to bed."

Yang: And I'm going to say hey to the boys down there.

Why Yang? Why?

"W-wait!"

Lapis's POV:

"I'm...not...finished...yet!"

Ranger: How about we take a break? You look like you're about to collapse.

Reluctantly, I agreed. We sat down for a minute and talked.

Ranger: I'll be honest with you, while I enjoy these training sessions, are you sure pushing yourself this hard is a good idea?

"Of course it is. I feel as if I haven't scratched the surface of my Semblance. While my it makes me incredibly fast, I feel there's a way to increase those gains and deal with the drawback."

Ranger: But is working yourself to the point of collapse really the best way to do it?

"Ranger, you know I want to avenge my father's death. Getting stronger like this is the only way I'll stand my ground against Roman."

Ranger: I get that, but you should take a break every now and then.

Out of nowhere, we heard Yang's voice.

Yang: Hey!

"Hey, Yang."

Ranger: 'Sup.

Yang: Not much. Saw you guys were training, wondered why this late at night.

"It's kinda been a part of my routine at Signal. Besides, my days were packed with classes."

Yang: Cool.

Ranger: Welp, I've had my fill. Ready to head back?

"Yeah, gimme a minute. You guys go ahead. I'm gonna wrap things up."

Yang: Suit yourself.

And just like that, the two started walking to the dorms. I slam my fists on the ground.

"Damn it! I've been training like this for months, and still no progress!!"

Ruby: Lapis?

"Ah! Ruby?! What are you doing out here?!"

Ruby: Sorry, I just...I saw you and Ranger were training, and then I saw you slam your fist on the ground. I guess I was just curious.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just a bit frustrated is all. I've put myself through this intense training for months, and I'm still not any stronger than when I started."

Ruby: I didn't know.

"It's fine."

Ruby: Did you wanna talk about it?

"(sigh) Sure. Seven years ago, my father was reported M.I.A."

Ruby: Oh my...

"I soon found out the man who killed him was none other than Roman Torchwick."

Ruby: Wait! Did he have a bowler hat and a cane?

"Yes! Wait, how do you know what he looks like?"

Ruby: I, uh... may have fought him...

"You did?!"

Ruby: The day I was accepted into Beacon, I was at the Dust Shoppe he robbed.

"I see... Maybe he's not as strong as I thought."

We stayed silent for a bit, before she spoke up.

Ruby: Hey... Lapis?

"Yeah?"

Ruby: Can we... get back to bed?

"Yeah, sorry. Let's go."

We headed back to the dorms, as I said I would. Ruby and I parted ways after we made it to Team RWBY's dorm.

Ruby: See ya.

"Same to you."

I walked back to my dorm. I still don't get why I haven't improved. I've subjected myself to this rigorous training for eight months and still no progress. I guess Semblance mastery will take a lot longer than I thought.