Chapter 12: Team Bonding

Lapis's POV:

Since we didn't have much to do, my team and I figured we should get to know each other by telling of some of our stories.

Ranger: And so then I said: I'm gonna tear you a new one if you don't get out of here by the count of ten. One...two...ten! And that's when he ran off.

Dia: (laughing) That's a good one.

"Yeah, I remember that bandit blazed right past me, begging for mercy. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't gonna give it to him."

Ranger: Dude, that's right! You beat the crap outta him! Man, that was amazing.

Vermillion: Sounds like it was a blast. Any other stories?

Dia: Hmm, I got nothing.

"Nothing. I told you guys about the different bandit stories."

Ranger: Hmm, how about some 2-on-2 training?

Vermillion: What?

"Sounds like a great idea! Ranger and I learned more about one another from training with one another."

Dia: That, and we can learn how to work with each other more effectively in battle.

Ranger: Exactly!

Vermillion: You know what? Let's give it a shot!

We went to the training grounds and readied our weapons.

Ranger: Alright, here's how it's gonna work. Lapis and Dia vs me and Vermillion. When someone's Aura falls into the red, we're done. Sound good?

Vermillion: If by good you mean we'll crush them, then yes!

"Don't hold back now, you hear!"

Dia: I'm gonna give it my all! We'll show them what we can accomplish as a team.

Ranger: Ready...set...GOO!

I wasted no time in using my Semblance. Ranger was trying to foresee mine and Dia's moves. Vermillion tried rushing us, but Dia back-flipped out of the way.

Dia: Pfft, easy.

She started swinging her chainsickle at Vermillion. Meanwhile, Ranger and I clashed blades. It wasn't long before he switched to his sniper and started shooting at me and Dia. I dodged his shots, then landed a few solid hits on him with my sword.

Ranger: Don't think that's it!

He then shot at me, landing a few hits. Within a brief window of time, I looked at my Scroll, and saw I was down by half my Aura.

"Damn it!"

While that was happening, I saw Dia take several hits from Vermillion's rail spike sized needles. She brushed it off, then kept swinging, eventually grabbing him and sent him flying into a wall. I proceeded to rush Ranger again. I managed to land more hits than I did earlier, but when he started shooting at me again, I dodged every shot. He must've noticed, because he switched back to his sword.

Dia: Partner!

"Dia! Let's end this!"

We rushed both of them, knocking Vermillion into the red, with Ranger trying to attack us while we were distracted. I noticed this, and forced him back.

Vermillion: Damn it!

Ranger: And...Time!

"(panting) We won!"

Dia: (scoffs) Were you two even trying?

Vermillion: She's not human! She's not even winded!

Ranger: Impressive. You two are really something on the battlefield.

Dia: Gotta ask, but why didn't you two team up like we did?

Ranger: Our strategy was to take one at a time. We weren't willing to take the risk of being wide open.

Vermillion: Clearly, that didn't work!

Dia: Regardless, that was a fun match. We should do this more often. By doing this, we can get a better understanding of how to work better as a team in combat.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Same time next week?"

Ranger: Sure! I'm game.

Vermillion: Then, it's settled!