Chapter 16.

Chapter 16

~Maya~

For the first time in all of my life I woke up with a smile on my face. Finding Elijah with me gave me a sense of security that was never there. After hearing him say all that. After hearing him say I was his and promising to never leave me. And when he vowed to protect me against my own demons. I knew I was falling for him and I was falling hard.

Getting out of the bathroom after taking a shower, I started getting ready for work. Even though Elijah wanted us to go together, I wasn't ready for it. I wanted us to stay in our own protective bubble before the chaos of the world consumes us. So he left for his apartment but not before giving me a passionate make out session that left me feeling like a love sick teenager.

After getting ready I walked out of my room and made a bee line to Kyles. I needed to tell him everything. Knocking on his door, I waited. And waited. "Kyle open up." With a frown, I opened the door only to find it empty. Never did Kyle stay away for an entire night. Usually he invited his partners up here.

Rushing towards my phone on my kitchen cabinet, I dial his number but it went straight to voicemail. Calling again and again but there was no avail. My worry forming into fear thinking about the worst. What if he got to Kyle? I won't be able to live with myself if something happened to him. Something that had to do with my past.

Just when my fear took a turn towards hell, I heard footsteps outside my apartment. Load, thudding, furious footsteps. He can't be back. He was supposed to be locked up for a long time. 

Taking a knife with shaking hands I stepped back to stay hidden from the front doors view. Soon, the footsteps stopped in front of my apartment and with a loud band the door opened.

My mind and vision turned black and without thinking about anything but my safety I lunged towards the only danger my life has given me. My knife firmly in my hand, ready to stab him. But before I could succeed in my brutality, my hands were grabbed and the knife smacked from my hands. My eyes still not able to comprehend what's ahead of me. Not hearing anything because of the fear consuming. I was suddenly pulled against the tight muscular body.

I struggled hard. I could hear screams coming from a distance. There's no way I'd let this monster win again.

"Maya Stop" The familiar voice roared in my ear and only then my mind clicked. Pulling my head from my intruders' chest I looked up and came face to face with my saviour.

"Kyle" My voice hoarse. The fog of darkness cleared only to register the chaos my stunt did. Its only Kyle. My mind tried to chant that but my fear still lingered. It was like I was transformed into that twelve year old again. Where survival was never an option no matter how much I tried.

Grabbing my shoulders, Kyle gave me a slight shake, making me somewhat clear about our surroundings. Turning to look around, I saw someone standing behind Kyle. His familiar face covered in horror for what he just witnessed.

"Where have you been?" Taking a step back from his safety, I turned around not wanting to see pity filled his eyes. This is not the first time I had an attack like this. Any sort of suspicion turn my body into survival mode. Taking me straight to the darkness that would never leave me alone.

"I've been with Dave, I didn't know you would be home." His voice soft. I could feel him taking gentle steps towards me.

After feeling a bit in control of myself, I turned around and plastered a smile on my face "That's okay. Elijah and I decided to spend the night here." I face Dave, who still looked uncomfortable.