Chapter 27.

Chapter 27.

~Maya~

I woke up with a huge smile on my face. I turned to look at the reason behind my smile but found the spot empty and cold. I blinked as I felt the space beside me wondering if all of yesterday was a dream. But the soreness between my legs told me it wasn’t. Everything was real. The good and the bad.

Sighing I got up to check if he was in bathroom but found it empty as well. Dread filled me as negativity filled me. Was he done with me? Maybe Jackson returning was too much for him.

I rushed to my phone to see if I had any messages or calls and was filled with relief as I saw one from Elijah that had been send a little over an hour ago. ‘Had work 2 do. B bck soon. W8 for me, my angel.’

‘Always.’ I replied and dropped my phone on the bed.

Relief smashed into me, knocking me down to my bed as I bend over and held my head in my hands. My dependency on him was astounding and scary. The thought of not having him near me send me to a spiral of emotion. Most of it being horror and fear.

Getting dressed I walked out of my room and straight to the kitchen as my stomach started growling from being ignored for too long. As I started with some eggs, the front door slowly opened and my best friends head popped in. I smirked as he started looking left and right but soon got my poker face on as his eyes fell on mine. “Well hello. Friend.” I said.

He immediately straightened and entered but he wasn’t alone. Dave entered behind him and a smile took over my face. Dave was an amazing guy and judging by how Kyle and he were still together I could guarantee he was really good for my best friend.

“Dave!” I said. Excited to see him. We have developed a nice understanding and if he made Kyle happy. He was an angel in my sight. I rushed towards and gave him a huge hug.

“Hey. When the fuck did this happen?” Kyle exclaimed but his voice held a happy ting to it. I could feel Dave shaking with laughter at Kyles outburst.

I turned in Dave’s embrace and he wrapped his arms around my shoulder and popped his chin on my head. “Why? You jealous?”

“Hell yes!” He almost shouted and Dave and I burst into a fit of laughter.

I stepped away from Dave and moved straight into Kyle’s arms as he wrapped them tightly around me. “You okay babygirl?”

“I’m so so very okay K.” I said as my heart filled with content. But soon darkness started to pour in as the thought of *HIM* seeped in my mind. Telling Kyle about his realize would be as hard as it was for to find out.

Noticing my tenseness Kyle moved me away by my shoulders and looked into my eyes as if the mere sight of them would leak every bit of truth there was. “Whats wrong?”

I took in a deep breath and waited a second or two to let it out. “I need to tell you something.”

Worry flew in him as he took my hand and walked us towards the couch with Dave right on our heels. The vibe completely changed. From bright light to utter darkness.

I took a seat with Kyle beside me and Dave right in front of me on the coffee table. I didn’t know when or how he became such a close friend. But I hope to God he’s in it to stay.

“Ummm… I got a call from Mr Arnold yesterday.” Kyle immediately stiffened whereas Dave looked completely confused. “He called to inform me that Jackson was released.”

Pin. Drop. Silence.

I don’t think anyone even took in a breath as soon as the words were out of my mouth.  I closed my eyes as a tear decided it was time to get weak again and it ran down my cheek.

“Wha…What?” I turned toward Kyle and saw him as all the blood had drained from his face and his hands clasped tightly in Daves.

Reluctantly, I continued. “He said he was out on good behaviour.”
At that Kyle’s head snapped to mine and what I saw in his eyes ran shivers down my spine. This was the man who had protected me since I was kid. He is my everything and to see my very own monster running free again on the very same street I was in would kill him.

In an eerily but calm manner he asked “How is that possible when he was sentenced for life?”

I frowned at that, this didn’t even cross my mind. It was a valid question that how on earth person sentenced for life can be released on good behaviour. How can they indicate that he was no longer a threat to me or any other girls?

Fear so great seeped in and my body started trembling. I don’t know why this was hitting me so hard all over again. This mere thought on how his realise was fucking possible hurts my very soul. How long will he take to come after me? Will I survive if anything from my past happens to me again? I felt various arms wrapped around me but it didn’t help. At all.

I stood up and rushed to my room. I saw my phone and dived straight to it and called my only person. Behind me I heard a furious roar and a something smashing in the wall but my mind couldn’t stop spiralling. After three rings he finally picked up my call. “Hey angel.”

A gush of relief hit me as soon as I heard his voice. My tense body relaxing. I still found it strange how his mere voice could pull me back to reality and save me from my own messed up mind.

“Maya? Is everything okay?” His voice taking an edge of concern.

“When will you be back?” I know I was being childish. I had both Kyle and Dave with me. But I needed Elijah.

“Did something happen? Are you hurt?” I heard rustling from his side as if he was running.

“I need you Elijah.” My tears blurred my vision and a sob escaped my throat. I felt Kyle before he reached me and wrapped me in his arms, silently rocking me as I heard Elijah’s breath through through the phone.

“I’ve got you angel. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

I nodded into Kyles chest even if Elijah couldn’t see me. “Tell me baby.” He almost whispered but I knew what he wanted to know. It was then I realised how much this was affecting him as well. He had enough on his plate and my damaged ass was making it far more difficult with him.

“Maya” he urged and I closed my eyes.

“You’ve got me Elijah.”

As soon as he heard that, the call disconnected and I started sobbing hard. This was too much. The fear was way too real and I didn’t know how long I could work myself like this.

“Baby I swear on my life he would never hurt you ever again.” Kyle whispered in ear but his voice showed how much truth that sentence held.

After about fifteen minutes, I had considerably calmed down and a mug of hot cocoa was in my hand when the door flew open and Elijah rushed in. He ran his glaze all over my apartment and it stilled when it came to me. His chest heaved up and down as if he ran all the way from his office.

He took hurried steps and knelt down in front of me. Kyle stood by the window with his back to us and Dave was in Kyle’s room as if he wanted to give us privacy but didn’t want to leave Kyle alone.

Elijah took the mug from my hands and placed it on the table and held my face in his hands. His eyes held mine as if reading what I couldn’t say. “I’m sorry.”

*I’m sorry I’m so weak. I’m sorry I’m so damaged. I’m sorry I can’t be what you want. I’m sorry I’m a constant burden to you. And I’m sorry I can’t even think to leave you even if though I know that’s what would be the best for you.*

“Pack your bags. We’re leaving for Paris now.” He didn’t acknowledge what my eyes screamed although I knew he heard every single word I screamed but choose to ignore them. That being said he took my hand and stood us up. “Go ahead. I’ll be right with you.” As he said that his eyes skirted towards Kyle. I understood that Elijah needed to talk to Kyle alone so I nodded and silently left to my room.

I heard mummers coming from them but the words were spoken so low I couldn’t hear at all. The only words that I could hear were said so clearly and with so much determination I knew I had nothing to worry about. “That woman is my life Kyle. And I would die before I let that motherfucker or any other asshole hurt her.”

And with those words all fear and panic flew away and hope bloomed in my heart. As long as I’m with him. He won’t let anything hurt me.