Go away

"Stop. Stop stop stop stop sTOP! I don't want to talk to you," Ethan shouted, scratching at his scalp where his hair was, "I don't even want to fucking look at you!"

"Why not, ethan? I'm trying to be supportive here, I don't know what to d-"

"BECAUSE EVERY TIME I LOOK AT YOU I SEE HOW MUCH FUCKING BETTER YOU ARE! I SEE HOW MUCH I SUCK AND HOW SHITTY I AM AS A PERSON AND HOW MUCH I SHOULD FUCKING DIE BECAUSE WHEN I SEE YOU I SEE EVERYTHING I WANT IN LIFE AND I CAN'T ACHIEVE THAT I JUST CAN'T! I'M SO FUCKING DONE WITH FEELING LIKE THIS!"

"Ethan, I-" Mark started.

"NO! GO AWAY! PLease...I just n-need to be alone...please." His voice broke as he spoke, squeezing his eyes shut so that he couldn't see Mark, couldn't recognize that he was there.

Mark hesitated before slowly walking towards Ethan, sitting down on the bed next to him. Ethan felt the weight on the bed shift, but didn't care. He didn't look at Mark, didn't acknowledge his presence, simply curling into a ball and crying silently.

Mark put a hand on the small of he younger man's back, rubbing it softly as an attempt to comfort Ethan, though he got no reaction.

"Ethan, look at me." Mark said firmly, not to scare the other, but just to let him know that he was serious.

Ethan reluctantly looked up, facing Mark but avoiding eye contact as much as he could.

"Is that how you really feel?"

"I mean...y-yeah. You're just so great, and I'm...not. Sometimes I just feel like I'm not enough for you I guess..."

"Ethan-"

"No, don't do that."

Mark was surprised for a moment. "What?"

"Don't pretend to pity me just because I'm sad. I'll get over it, I-I always do, I'm just...I'm just being a little selfish right now. Give me an hour, even less, I'll be the same, annoying Ethan you're used to."

Mark shook his head, scooting closer until he was shoulder-to-shoulder with Ethan, wrapping his arm around his friend. "Ethan, never, ever think I don't care about you. I've said it before to you, and I should say it more, honestly, but I do honestly love you. You're one of my best friends, nothing changes that fact, and it certainly means that I care about you, more than you'll ever know. You're not annoying, you never have been. And if you're sad, that," He paused for just a moment, "that just gives me even more of a reason to show you just how much I care."

By the time Mark was finished his rambling, Ethan was crying even harder. He adjusted his position on the bed and hugged Mark tightly, sobbing into his chest. "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry Mark I...I don't...I'm sorry."

"Eth, you have no reason to be sorry. It's alright to be sad, and by how sudden this is, I can tell it's been bottled up inside you for a while. It's okay, I promise, just let it all out, just let yourself relax, I promise it'll be okay."

Ethan stayed there for what felt like hours, just holding onto Mark and crying, so long there were no more tears. Mark had a large stain on his shirt, but he didn't care. He just wanted Ethan to be alright. "Here, Eth, drink some water, you'll need it." he said softly, reaching over and grabbing the water bottle he always kept by his bed. Ethan took the bottle gently, taking a few sips once he was calm enough.

"Are you feeling alright now?" Mark asked, more than willing to continue helping his friend if he still felt like shit.

Fortunately, Ethan nodded, sighing a bit. "Sorry for snapping like that. I just...lost control of my emotions for a bit, it was too much to handle I guess" he said, a small laugh escaping at the end.

"I'm just glad you're better, I felt so bad seeing you cry like that, I wasn't sure what to do."

"Yeah...thanks for that, by the way, staying with me and my bullshit feelings."

"Anytime, Eth. You're my best friend, I'm here for you."

WC: 701

bigsad pt 2