Chapter 9: Anbu Tattoo

Kakashi walked down the dirt roads of Konoha with his book open and his usual slow pace. He, however, was deep in thought, and one would notice if they took the time to see that he hasn't turned the page in five minutes or that his eyes didn't seem to be moving with the words. But no, no one looked twice at the strange ninja that they were all accustomed to. Konoha has long ago realized that all Jonin had their quirks, it practically came with the job requirement. Kakashi read his porn in public and was always late, Gai ran around in a green jumpsuit shouting stuff about youth, Asuma smoked more than his father, and they would rather not speak about Anko.

So they paid little attention to Kakashi, already used to his antics, and that was just fine with Kakashi. He needed time to think after that bombshell that Tenzo dropped on him. His mind wandered back to when he went to go pick up Hisato from the hospital and how he had his arm bandaged near the shoulder. When the man was questioned about it, the brunette said that it was a memento from his sensei. There was also the issue about the scar. One that only a technique like chidori could cause. One that Kakashi was sure that only he and the Raikage could inflict. Perhaps the man was in the Anbu of another village and had the misfortune of running into Kakashi and somehow survived. While that was unlikely, it was one of the few theories that the silver-headed nin could come up with.

Realizing that he hadn't turned a page in a while, Kakashi turned the page of his book, but still did not read the contents. He wasn't in the mood to read how Asui-chan seduced Kousei-san at the river. He had more pressing matters on his mind, so he couldn't get the full enjoyment of the book. Jiraiya-sama's masterpiece had to wait a little longer. Though, now that he thinks about it... the new book should be coming out soon...

"My rival," a shout sounded, practically echoing off all of the buildings due to its sheer volume.

Kakashi suppressed a groan. Yes, he needed a break from his thoughts, but Gai was not the solution he was looking for. "Did you say something?" he finally decided to say, hoping to deter Gai from asking Kakashi for a challenge. It has never worked before, but Kakashi has a little hope that it would work now.

Gai stopped a frown from spreading on his face. The man had been following Kakashi for the past thirty minutes, silently observing his behavior. The fact that Kakashi never noticed him was one red flag, the second red flag being that he hardly ever turned the pages, and the third being that his posture was more rigid than usual. Gai made it his job to make sure that Kakashi never fell into a depression again, so he finally decided to reveal himself and draw Kakashi away from his thoughts.

Gai pretended to be hurt. "Oh, my hip and cool rival! You're hipness is radiating today," he said in his woe-is-me voice. "I challenge you my rival! You are currently in the lead, 472 to my meager 471."

Kakashi let out a sigh, and it wasn't his usual annoyed sigh, it was a tired sigh- only adding to Gai's worry. "Not today Gai. I have to go see the Hokage over an important matter."

That helped alleviate some of Gai's worry. Kakashi was probably just having some trouble with his students. He's seen the files and saw that they were filled with much youth and were in need of much youthful training. Gai considered asking Kakashi if they wanted to do joint training or even trade teams for a week or two. It would do his team some good to get some help from a ninjutsu specialist, even his pride and joy Lee. Although Lee can't use jutsu, it would be good for him to spar against the silver-haired man. It would also be good for Kakashi's team to get some of Gai's personal, youthful training.

Mind made up, Gai decided to ask. "Say my rival, why don't we trade our youthful teams for a week."

Kakashi did a double take. "Come again?" This was not what he was expecting from Gai of all people, but he could see the benefits.

If both of their teams came together, they could learn more than if they were apart. Gai, while a taijutsu expert, knew very little about ninjutsu, Kakashi's specialty. Kakashi's no slouch when it comes to taijutsu, but it would do his team good if they did Gai's crazy training for a week.

"I want us to trade our youthful teams for a week, no D ranked missions, just training," Gai elaborated.

Kakashi began to sweat. "Not the Gai special, right?"

Gai looked taken aback. "Of course not!" Kakashi let out a sigh of relief. "It's going to be an extra special Gai special," Gai said with a wink. Kakashi's eyes widened, his team is never going to be the same after this.

After talking over the specifics, Gai and Kakashi parted ways, Gai heading who knows where and Kakashi leaping towards the Hokage tower. His talk with the Hokage could no longer delay. Hisato needed to meet with Inoichi... and soon.

Kakashi crawled through the window and walked to the middle of the room. Kakashi's posture stayed rigid, his mind wandering through how he was going to tell the Hokage that the man they just promoted to Jonin was probably a traitor.

Hiruzen looked up from his paperwork, taking note of Kakashi's tense form. Usually the man was pretty lax in his presence, so this showed something was very wrong. The Thirds brain ran through all the possibilities before deciding on two. Either Kakashi's Genin team did something horrible or something happened with Hisato. Hiruzen hoped it was the former.

"Hokage-sama..." Kakashi finally said. "It is of great importance that you bring Hisato Arata to your office immediately along with Inoichi Yamanaka."

Hiruzen didn't let the frustration show on his form. Whatever happened had to be bad, and if it hurt Konoha in any way, it would be the kind-hearted man's fault for letting the man and his silver tongue into his village. There was always a chance of a spy entering the village, but in these peaceful times, Sarutobi had hope. Perhaps it was a foolish hope.

"Very well," Sarutobi complied, not even questioning the Jonin in front of him. He pressed his summon button and his secretary came into the room. "Please bring Inoichi Yamanaka and Hisato Arata to my office immediately." His secretary nodded (gosh, he really needs to learn her name) and ran off to summon the two men.

The two men sat in silence, Kakashi taking a seat on the couch near the corner of the room. The air was tense, both of them knowing the gravity of the situation. The tension wavered slightly when Inoichi entered the room, looking slightly disheveled as if he ran to the Hokage's office. The blonde immediately noticed the tense atmosphere and decided to say nothing. He took notice of Kakashi sitting on the couch near the left corner of the room. The silver-haired man was tense, and his usual lax attitude was gone, making Inoichi worry. Whatever happened, it couldn't be good.

Finally, the man they seemed to be waiting for walked in. Inoichi didn't recognize him, which wouldn't normally be unusual except for the fact that he was supposed to know all Jonin. The blonde is in charge of the therapy of Jonins, and it's practically required unless your name is Kakashi. Even newly promoted Jonins are supposed to get evaluated by him before they are completely promoted. Perhaps that's what this is, the man thought. That, however, did not explain the tense atmosphere.

The man in front of him seemed to be in his early to mid twenties. He had light, brunette hair and a slim, yet built body. Not quite Kakashi slim, but close. In comparison with Kakashi, the brunette has broader shoulders as well. Inoichi also took notice of the bags under his eyes and how bloodshot his blue eyes seemed to be. The mans' skin also seemed to be paler than it should be, all those signs pointing toward lack of sleep. Maybe this is a psych evaluation...

"Hokage-sama, you summoned me," the brunette spoke, noticing the tension in the room. His eyes wandered around the room until they hit Inoichi. His blue eyes widened a bit before going back to their normal open look. Inoichi's eyes narrowed in suspicion. So he knows who he is.

Lord Third nodded. "Kakashi here seems to have some..." he paused, "concerns."

The brunette clenched his left hand slightly. "What kind of concerns?" he asked, truly wondering where he messed up.

Kakashi stood up and looked Hisato dead in the eye. "About why you have an Anbu tattoo on your left arm."

{May 31, 2020}