Chapter 6: Jonin Assessment

It was... odd to meet his counterpart. Nostalgic even. Hisato remembered spending the night tied to that pole before Kakashi finally came back for him. That was one of the longest nights of his life and it left only him and his thoughts- and he had a lot to think about. The brunette took a sip of his morning coffee, and then nearly spilled it when a certain Anbu operative sunshined into the seat across from him.

"Tora," Hisato greeted in a dry tone, looking for any stains on his pants, and was relieved when he didn't find one. "Glad you made yourself comfortable."

Tora didn't seem to pick up on his sarcasm and leaned back in his chair, placing his legs on the table. "Your assessment is today, Hisato-kun. Hokage-sama believes that you've had enough time to heal."

Actually, the Hokage gave him more than enough time to heal. It has been four days since he has arrived in the past and the worst of his injuries were gone by day two.

"What time is the assessment?" He questioned, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Now." Tora grabbed his arm and sunshined them both to a clearing behind the Hokage's tower. "As you were told before, Kakashi-senpai will be assessing you along with Hokage-sama, and Shikaku-sama. You will be fighting Kakashi-senpai while the Hokage and Shikaku-sama will watch from the sidelines. You are to do what is necessary to prove your rank, which you say is Jonin, correct?" Hisato nodded. "You must show Jonin level of skill, but you are not required to beat Kakashi-senpai, for he is an elite Jonin, the best of the best." Tora paused, as if to try and think of something else. "Any questions?"

Hisato thought for a moment. Tora had made the instructions clear. He only needed to show enough skill to prove he's Jonin level- and it wouldn't be good for him or his cover if he beat Kakashi. His master would practically have to be world renown if he was able to beat someone like Kakashi- which he technically was, but they're not supposed to know that he was taught by Jiraiya himself.

"I do have one question actually," Hisato stated. Tora nodded, and he continued, "Do I have to be Jonin levels in all areas?"

Tora put his hand on his chin, putting some thought into the question. "I believe you have to be above Jonin level in one area to even out the playing field or be sufficient in some other less common field. Why? What area do you struggle in?" Tora asked inquisitively.

"Promise not to tell Kakashi and jeopardize my chances?" Hisato asked in a hushed tone. Tora nodded quickly. "Genjutsu.." Hisato mumbled. He had always sucked in this field, having a hard time both casting and identifying them. That's why he hated Uchiha so much.

"You must either have large reserves or poor chakra control if you struggle with Genjutsu that much," Tora sniggered, slipping his hand under his mask to cover his laughs. Hisato glared at him.

"Hey, it's not my fault my reserves are so big that I can't properly perform or identify Genjutsu," Hisato defended. "Think about it, it's like having a giant bucket of water and you can only pour one drop into a cup- without any use of chakra. It takes a lot of thought and effort if it's possible to even do it at all."

"And if you do try to complete it, it takes time... time that could get you killed," Tora finished, finally realising Hisatos' struggle.

The brunette smiled. "Exactly."

"Sorry I'm late, a black cat crossed my path so I had to go the long way, but the long way had a ladder, I couldn't just go under it, so I had to wait out the cat, but the cat decided to take a nap, so I decided to take a nap as well and woke up late," announced Kakashi. Hisato rolled his eyes. That was more elaborate than usual.