The Change: Part I

Connor wanted to talk, he wanted to say many things only he doesn't know how to do that. His eyes occasionally flickered to the small smile on Evan's face as they talk about random things.

Evan seemed pleased despite the last night episode. Connor knows Evan must have been dangerously troubled by the call and the condition he found him this morning was anything but concerning.

Finishing the dinner with a deep satisfaction Connor got up putting the leftover in the refrigerator while Evan cleaned the rest.

This time however Connor didn't join him and retired to his room. It was when Evan walked out of the kitchen back to his room he saw Connor sitting on his bed.

"You here? I thought you'd gone to bed."

Evan said walking in and taking a seat on the recliner sofa.

"Yeah, actually I have something that I wanted to give to you," Connor revealed a box wrapped up in a colourful paper.

"What is it?" Evan asked frowning a little.

"Have a look at yourself." Connor got up handing the box to Evan.
Evan looked at Connor who was having a cute little smile. The box was slightly heavy and carefully not to damage what was inside Evan removed the paper neatly.

What came out had Evan gaping. He looked at Connor and then at the new mobile phone in his hand and then looked at Connor again.
"I... You don't have to." his words were said in a whisper.

"I know but I wanted to. I know how much suffocated you must be feeling staying inside the house all day long with not much to do and at least with the phone, you could talk with your friends and Daniel.

Besides, you need the phone for your work too right?" Evan sat there motionless he was awestruck with Connor's thoughtfulness and the fact that he didn't make things awkward by talking about the condition he found him this morning or the details of last night.

"Thanks a lot, Connor I honestly don't know how to say thank you other than saying it with my words.
Thanks a lot."

Connor looked at Evan with a soft smile. "Friends don't say thank you and sorry to each other Evan and I expect you to honour that.
So, open it. See if you like it."

Evan nodded and took the small box from his hands moving aside to give a little space for Connor to sit down beside him.
Removing the wrapper carefully so not to damage it he set it aside.

His smile and eyes widen tenfold seeing the expensive iPhone in his hands. "Holy shit! This is XS." Evan said turning to Connor surprised who just shrugged as if it was nothing.

"Oh, and I had your phone number changed. It is a private number so no one can track it or trace it now. You can still keep your old number but with Roman knowing it which is a guess from me it wouldn't be safe." Connor said motioning to the bag left on the bed where inside it were the details of the new number.

However, hearing Connor say Roman's name Evans mood sullied slightly. Suddenly, his mind was again bombarded with worries and questions.

How Roman ended up with his number? What is he going to do now? How long is he going to hide in here? And the biggest question of all is why? Why Roman is here after all these years?

Connor noticed the change in the mood and instantly regretted mentioning Roman. He could be really careless sometimes.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll discard the sim as soon as I am done transferring the contacts." Evan said absentmindedly. His words were dragged and it was obvious he was thinking something else and not paying attention.