chapter ten👑

<BACK TO THE OLD QUEEN>

    Later that day, in the evening, Jamil would not stop calling my phone but I missed all of his calls deliberately.

"I won't talk to him, no. Not now, not ever". I soliloquized to myself and turned back to the book I was reading in front of me. I tried so hard to focus but I was not understanding anything.

    I got off my bed and walked over to my vanity. I stared at myself in the mirror profusely and I inhaled and exhaled carefully. "You are kid wonder, don't let anyone tell you otherwise," I said softly to my version in the mirror and picked up my earphones and my phone on the table. I put on a music by Doja cat named Bitch boss  and i started dancing to the rhythm of the music just to forget my problems for the moment. I have heard that there is no self love greater than dancing in your room alone and feeling yourself. So I guess, that is where my life is taking me at the moment.

"Queen! What the hell are you doing?! I've been knocking on your door for forever!" My mum barged into my room furiously.

I guess she must have been knocking for long and I did not hear her, cause I had my earphones on.

I took them out of my ears immediately and turned off the music. "Sorry ma," I uttered apologetically.

"What were you even doing?"

"Practicing self love," I answered.

"What?..." She looked bemused. "Self love?"

"Yes mum."

She scoffed. "God... Teenagers and their usual shit! Young lady dancing in your room is literally going crazy! Ask anybody... Who even taught you that?"

"Mum everyone does it sometimes to take a break from reality," I explained thoughtfully.

"Whatever! Come downstairs, dinner is served. Don't make me come up here again," she warned and left.

    I sighed and followed her.

                        * * * * * *

     While we were dining, my phone kept ringing but I kept silencing it. It rang number of times but I did not pick, my mum noticed but she was quiet, staring at me intently but I was just glancing at her through the corner of my eyes. I continued my food sluggishly and then the next thing, my phone beeped and I picked it up.

"You know you should really pick my calls. Damn Queen! I would never snitch on you. Believe me, I din tell anyone about it. Trust me please".

After reading the text I replied "fuck off!😠", and dropped my phone, glancing at my mum and she would not stop staring at me. I could not read the expression on her face though.

    As we were both in the atmosphere of suspense and quietness, my phone rang again. "Shit!" I cussed and quickly silenced it.

"Won't you answer that?" My mum finally said.

"No.. It's... Not important. Table manner." I shuddered at my own words and waited for her next reply.

"By the way, who's that?"

"It's nobody important," I replied, digging into my food.

"Nobody important.... Who?" She asked again, glaring at me for an accurate answer.

"Jamil," I said slowly.

     She dropped her spoon on her plate. "So now Jamil is nobody important... What happened? Did you two quarrel?"