chapter fifteen👑

<FRIENDSHIP AGAIN>

     During the weekend, I felt free like never before. Making up with Jamil and everything that happened during the week.

      I opened my eyes and yawned, standing up. I went closer to my mirror and packed my hair up in two's.

      I entered into my bathroom and brushed my teeth quickly. I freshened up and went downstairs to meet my mum still at home, making breakfast.

"Mum? You din go to work today?" I asked her in surprise, going over to the fridge.

"No. I took the day off!" She sounded kind of excited and I wonder why.

"Hum... You never take a 'day off'. Why is this one sudden? And you seem happy about it". I rephrased her words. Still in shock.

     She sighed at me. "Cmon Queen don't be such a kill joy. Fine am happy..." She placed her hands on her waist.

"Why?" I shrugged slightly with furrowed eyebrows. She walked up to me and hugged me and then something marveled me. I heard her sniff.

     Is she crying??

"Mum, are you OK?" I asked, still with her arms around me.

"I love you..." Was all she uttered soberly.

"Mum you're scaring me" I swallowed and slowly wrapped my arms around her too.

"You replied back for once. You said I love you more!" She burst out crying heartily.

     I became shocked too. "I d-did?" I stuttered.

"Yes. Do you know how that made me feel? I wanted to hear you say it over and over again, but then you were asleep. I just want you to tell me, I wasn't dreaming. It was real and you meant it right? You feel it right?" She hugged me tighter and I could feel a little uncomfortable.

"Mum.... You're suppressing me," I complained and she let go of me quietly. Her eyes were teary and she wiped it with her fist gently.
"Am sorry. Am sorry. Are you hungry?" She asked me but I just kept staring at her blankly.

Then I finally replied, "yes" and she nodded.

     I felt broken a bit. I don't know if I should be happy. I mean I cannot believe this is what I have been putting my mum through all this years. She had quietly longed to hear me say I love you to her. I mean I would love to repeat those words again but I want to feel it deep in my soul.

      I stared at her from where I was standing and she asked, "are you going over to Jamil's?"

"Yes I am" I replied hoarsely and she turned to smile at me wryly.

                        * * * * * *

     I went over to Jamil's house later to hang out with him and we had fun.               
    His brothers are clowns as usual. They would not stop making me laugh and concentrate on what I came for.

"Stop it Jamey. You're being so fucking annoying right now" Jamil chased his little brother round the house who held his kid photo with him. Laughing hysterically.

"Hey Queen, you should really have seen my kid brother when he was younger. It was like he was on human growth hormones or something" Jamal mocked and I burst out laughing girlishly.

"Cmon man! You're too old for this!"Jamil said out of breath from chasing Jamey.

"But you know am telling the truth man" Jamal shrugged at him still smiling.

"Yea. I remember when he use to be usually grumpy in school, like..." I added making a funny grimace and Jamil gasped at me, grabbing a sofa pillow and he threw it at me but I dodged and laughed.

"Hey Jamil, and you also remember Tasha? Your forever crush in seventh grade?!" Jamal said again and I widened my eyes at Jamil in awe and he turned to Jamal.

"No please not Tasha!" He pleaded.

"He won't stop crying about her when we were moving down to Africa!" Jamal laughed and I followed.

"Lover boy!" I uttered and he started chasing me around with a pillow and stoned it at me.

      Actually I went there to study but ended up playing stupid! And it was damn fun!! Unlike any other elder brother, Jamal was fun to be with. Regardless of his age, he did not mind. We played like we were all teens.

                        * * * * * *

     Jamil and I was walking down our street and we did not stop chatting.

"You know you should never come to my house while my brothers are in. They are hell as funny" he said to me.

"Yea. We ended up playing all day. It wasn't so bad after all" I smiled up at him.

"Yea until you remember what you came for was quite important as well". He smiled back down at me, smirking.

"So... Are you going to school on Monday?" I asked curiously.

"Yea. WAEC is on it's way. I need to study a lot."

"We both need to. And Hero?" My mood softened, waiting to hear his reply but he sucked in a breath.

"I have no business with Dean you know. He chose his path."

    We both stopped in front of my gate and I sighed.

"Here we are. Don't forget to call me for school tomorrow okay?" I poked his stomach lightly and he groaned playfully.

"You didn't have to ask."

"Yea I do. It a bad omen when you don't call me. I mean look what happened when you left me behind that day! So it wasn't all my fault you know."

     I shrugged, twisting my lips.

"You know I was going to tell you why I didn't call you that day. Jamal broke my saving box and.... " he paused, staring down at me for a minute. "Disregard it though. He said he is gonna make up for it. I wonder how." He raised his brows at me with a lipped up smile and I felt bad all over again for accusing him wrongly. "See you" he raised his fist and I hit it gently.

"Goodnight" I went in and he left.