chapter twelve👑

<TAKING THE BIG STEP>

    I tied my towel round my chest, coming out of my bathroom, while I untied my hair with my scrunchy and raked my fingers through it- "ouch!" I let out a groan as I felt a sharp pain from my tangled hair intertwined with my index fingernail.

"I seriously need a haircut! But mum always protest cause she doesn't understand my pain!" I mumbled to myself as I sat down on my mirror chair, looking at my full dark curly hair that never stops defying the law of gravity, even when penetrated by water, through my vanity. "Am sure Yara and the rest are going through hell..." I concluded with a scoff.

      I stood up and went to open my window for air to fill my room when I sighted Jamil passing down the street with his elder brother Jamal, and he looked up at my window but I hid behind my cotton nervously.

    After a while, I slowly looked out again and they were already gone.

     I sighed in relief.

     On sitting down on my bed, I remembered what Jamil said the last time we talked, and the number too! I quickly stood up and reached for it on my bedside table, sinking back into the bed, in the same sitting position I was before. I kept flipping through the pages till I found the number.

"Miss Glen Paige. (555)5550147" I sighed and swallowed, ready to take the big step. I dialed the number and it rang but no answer. I sighed again and dialed for the second time.

  "Yes you've reached 5550147, these is an irregular number". An unexpected female voice with a very nice British accent came on the other end of the line, making me jump from my bed in flabbergastation which made shivers run down my spine.

    I swallowed "hi... Please am I speaking to Mrs Glen Paige? Am a caller from Nigeria". I wandered about in my room nervously.

"Yes, how may I help you?" She must be wondering how I must have gotten her personal contact because her voice was sounding really very surprised.

     I licked my lips quickly. "My name is Queen Mabel Nicholas and I want to register for the website, greater heights because I heard it's a competition site for young writers like me." I explained.

"Am sorry young lady, but this is the wrong number to call. I have a three months waiting list from writers around the globe so it will be best if you just join the queue on greater heights thank you-"

"Ma wait-" she already hung up before I could say any other thing. "Shit!" I dialed her number again and again and again before she picked up.

"I dont know how you got these number but i seriously can't do anything for you right now. Am just an ambassador, not the owner." her voice came on again.

"I got your number from Jamil. Jamil Peterson and he said you could help-" I tried to explain but she interrupted me with an unexpected sentimental tone.

"Jamil?.. How is he? Is he okay? I haven't heard from his family in years. Is he there with you?" She asked continuously.

"No he's not. But he lives down my street. He gave me your number in person because we are friends" I said with a shrug.

"Okay. Let me see what I can do but just sign in on greater heights and register your story. Leave the rest to me. And please say me hi to Jamil" and she hung up.

     I punched the air in triumph, jumping up excitedly. "That's what am talking about baby!!"

                          * * * * * *