Chapter three👑

<ACQUAINTED>

       I was putting on my uniform in front of my vanity, when I heard my name from my room window and I went to check who it was.

"Hey nerd, come down", Jamil said out loud and I rolled my eyes, doing exactly what he said.

"Mummy?" She turned to look at me with a cup of tea in her hand. "Yes baby?", she answered.

"Am ready to leave." I announced to her.

"What? What do you mean you're ready?". She sounded surprised. "You haven't had breakfast."

"Yes, I need to go. I do not want to be late for sport's practice."

     She smiled spontaneously "Sports?" raising her brows with a question.

"Mummy you were the one who said it was OK to join any social activity in school, like sports." I reminded her.

"I didn't say that. T'was all the idea of Mrs Brenda", she denied in an honest tone.

"Well-"

"Queen Nicholas! Really? I've been standing here all morning, waiting for you! Don't you think I deserve an accolade!!", Jamil yelled again, impatiently. His loud voice echoed in our house.

     I rolled my eyes and mummy gave me that 'who the hell is that kid waiting outside?' Look.

"He is my school mate. My practice partner". I explained before she could get any more ideas.

"And so he is waiting for you? You didn't tell him you always get a ride to school? And Queen you finally got a friend without telling me? Really?" she queried endlessly.

     I scoffed, "he is not my friend, he is just one dumb headed kid that I made a bargain with."

    She raised both brows. "Oh I see. So what sport are we talking about here?"

"Football", I blurted out before I could reason.

"Wow," she mused.

     These was a bad idea.

"American football. The one that deals with quarterbacks remember?"I added.

"You scared me. I don't remember you being a football fan, let alone, play football". She chuckled.

"Okay mummy, I have to go. I'll just pick some junks from the fridge."I said rushing to the fridge and taking a lot of foodies like yoghurt, popcorn, digestive biscuits and chocolate sneakers, along with my water bottle and forcing them all into my back pack.
"Goodbye mummy", I waved, rushing out the door.

                         * * * * * *

"Hey look! We' neighbors,"  Jamil exclaimed as soon as he saw me coming out of my compound.

"Yes I know that. I see you most of the times through my window, playing football."

"Really? So what now? You spying on me?"

"You wish", I scoffed. Unbelievable.

"Am a mad player. I know you tripping!" He stated playfully.

"Stop messing around. We should walk fast. If I go late, I will kill you". I threatened and he laughed.

                         * * * * * *

     Mrs Didi our literauture teacher, walked into the class majestically and cleared her throat, equally announcing her presence.

"So," she started, "I gave an assignment last two weeks. Write your biography. You all tried, and most especially am stunned, I must say, at Jamil Peterson. These days, he never seize to amaze me."

      She sounded really proud of him. Well if only she knew our little secret.

"JP stand up," she ordered and he stood up happily, gazing at me.

"You're doing well. I have never seen you so focused before. Now very soon, you'll be competing with Queen". Her eyes diverted to me at the mention of my name and looked back at jamil again.

"Thank you ma". He sat down back.

"Except somebody! Tobi stand up!" She commanded, her mood switching instantly. Tobi stood up quivering. "Tobi, I am so ashamed of you. Your grades are going down. I have been seeing you with a lot of girls your age lately. Why? Now because you're a quarterback too and you feel like you're into big things? Sorry boy, the answer is no. You should learn from Jamil, he is also a quarterback. Look at Hero, he's a rude kid but his brain is versely proportional to his looks. He's the best in science! Let me tell you kid, teens like you need to be caught young or else you all will go astray so you should be happy I gave you something where you can channel all those teen angst! Sit back down and buckle up!!" She roared breathlessly in anger.

     I turned to meet Jamil's eyes and he whispered 'thank you' but I looked away.

                         * * * * * *

     I kept groaning as I continued bouncing the ball simultaneously like a maniac. Jamil was just staring at me. Guess being a quarterback is a lot of stuff.

     Jamil burst into laughter uncontrollably and I stopped and stared at him expressionlessly.

"Am sorry..... That was just wrong. I really don't know why you need these, I mean you suck at football. We've been on these for over two weeks now and you don't look frustrated, tired or angry, like you never seem to give up. A lot of people would have." He said but did not quit laughing at my situation.

"Well I am not a lot of people. Never give up."

"Yeah, heard of that quote before. Look, we should go upstairs. Social activities are on and here we are. You ain't got a club do you?"

"No. Not like anyone will accept me in."

"We could form a club. Anyone of your choice. You gat the rules. C'mon you in or wah?"

     Oh God! "Really? Jamil you have to stop with all these your slang. In case you are going to use that, try to stop mumbling so I can hear you better,"I complained.

"You don't understand something. Slang makes me hood", he said plaintively. I noticed something about the expression on his face. It changed.

"Well not for me". I stated, taking my eyes off his face.

     A mischievous grin crossed his lips as he looked at me. "I think there's one more lesson you have to pass through before you can be perfect in throwing the ball."

"Really?" I raised my brows at him taking my eyes off quickly again.

"Yeah sure. C'mon" he stretched his hand towards me and I took it.