chapter thirteen👑

<SOBERED>

     It has been days and I have not talked to Jamil. We have not been having classes lately because of our said WAEC examination and I must confess it is really hard not getting to talk to him.

     Guess am now back to the old me. The boring loner.

     Nowadays it is just school and home. I have been working my ass out for this writing competition and I have come up with just two hundred views and thirty votes and main looking at it just makes me wanna cry. Although I have no idea how the winner is achieved but, I mean I probably must be the only one lagging behind in my work. My best is not enough.

                          * * * * * *

"Here," Mum dropped a glass of water on the dining table beside my book.

"Thanks mum." I drank it all up.

"Are you sure you can get through this? WAEC is coming up and you need to study Queen. Now am not asking you to give it up because I know it's a lifetime opportunity. Am just worried." She sat down in the sitting room and turned on the TV.

"I will," I clearly stated and she said nothing more.

                         * * * * * *

     At night, I kept turning in my bed restlessly because I could not sleep at all.

     I opened my eyes slowly, looking at my ceiling. "God.... thank you for the life that you have given me. And am most grateful for my mother and my friend Jamil.. That if he was actually meant to be my friend-" I shrugged- "I know I have not really been devout in my prayers. And to you. But truth be told, I need you now more than ever. Just one thing lord...... One thing," I paused for a while. "Give me a sign. I just wan' make mummy proud and to be sure I can get through this. I know I can do it!" A tear slid down my cheek and I gently closed my eyes again.

    Now that's me speaking to my creator.....

    Sleep took over...

                           * * * * * *

     My mum walked into my room and found me rolling on the bed in pains and she sat beside me. "Baby are you OK?" She asked worriedly.

"No mum. My stomach hurts. My period came out last night. I don't think I can go to school today" I groaned in pains and she sighed heavily in understanding.

"Fine. Take care of the house," she kissed my temple, brushing her hand over my hair and she left.

                         * * * * * *

     The next day, in school. I was searching for jamil everywhere with my eyes but seems he is not in school today. And then the next day again, still no show. Unlike Jamil, he never misses school.

    During free period, I went to ss3 A1 class and sighted Ali reading in his sit.

      I was about walking up to him when the most unusual student, that I never thought could talk and never for once noticed, bumped into my side and giggled on low.

"I wonder what life is like for rejects!" chubby annoying Faith cooed abruptly at me and I was stunned.

    She was said to be ridiculed for her appearance and low IQ.

    I suddenly burst out in laughter which made her frown.

"You too?..." I asked still laughing and she felt ashamed, checking around for eyes on us but she got lucky. Everyone seem to be busy with one thing or the other. "Die wondering then." I simply said to her and left her in shame.

      I went over to Ali and sat beside him. "Hey..."

    He turned to look at me.

"Oh look who we have here. The runaway teammate." He threw his hands up in the air sarcastically.

"You know what your friend did to me... Don't act like you don't!" I scolded angrily.

"My friend?" He raised a brow funnily. "Oh so now he's my friend? Only me? You really are sagacious aren't you? So you just blame JP for what he did not do. I know Jamil to be a lot of things but definitely not a sniper like you called him!" He accused and turned back to what he was doing.

"He put you up to this right? Am leaving.." I stood up to go and he growled bossily, glaring at me this time.

"Put your ass back down!" He commanded strictly but I was hesitant.

"Language Ali.. You're not on the field." A girl on glasses seated behind us scolded and Ali quickly turned to glare at her.

"Mind your business Shansi! For real" he retorted and she raised both her hands up in defense, turning back to the novel on her desk.

"If you leave don't come back" he stated and I was forced to sit back down. "So what were you saying?"

"Look, Ali I din come here to argue with you why am not on talking terms with Jamil.. I just wanna know why he hasn't been in school for days now." I said in the calmest tone I could muster.

"So you actually care?"

     Damn! Why on earth is he making this so hard!!

"There's this stuff we're working on and I need to get updates."

"Well thought you guys are neighbors?"

"Yea but I have not been seeing him on the streets. It's complicated," I twisted my lips.

"You know as much as I don't wanna tell you, I wanna tell you."

"Tell me what?" I asked curiously.

"But seriously you didn't hear?"

"Heard what?-"

"Jamil got suspended!" The girl on glasses interfered again making Ali run nuts and clenched his fists on the desk.

    PFF! Thank you- whatever your name is!

"Give me a sec," he whispered to me with a lipped up frustrating smile and turned to face her. "That was my line and i was going to spice it up but you had to....." He groaned in sheer frustration.

     She relaxed on her chair with her back on the side wall. "Am sorry you were taking too much in spilling it. Distracting my reading." She complained and wiggled her novel in his face annoyingly.

"You could've just changed seats! Why do girls on glasses love gossip?" He asked himself mentally. "Okay Shansi let's get this straight, you. Are. Not. My. Type! I know you like me, but trust me girl, it can't work!" He made a disgusted face, flinging his hands in the air.

     Whoa.....

     She scoffed. "Trust me too, you're not even on my unwanted list of ugly boys and am not your girl!" She stated, eyeing him frantically.

"Eww.. I never called you my girl. You're heightless to begin with. I wonder what you're looking for on the ground."

    I gasped in awe as I covered my mouth to this one heavy insult.

    What Shansi said about Jamil really entered my ears and stuck there and I feel surprised because Jamil has never been suspended before. But I can't just help but laugh at this two making ridicule of themselves and it reminded me so much of how me and Jamil use to argue a lot.

    Ali and Shansi are so us and I can't deny it.

Hey guys, these is a short one. Really din take my time on this one but next chap coming up as soon as possible. Don't forget to vote..... And comment😘